Trim or paint stairwells

Old 10-03-07, 08:02 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trim or paint stairwells

I recently bought a town house and moving furniture upstairs has put quite a few dings and scratches on the wall. The stairs have a wall on both sides. The wall only has primer on it so everything that touches it seems to leave a mark. I would like to do the decorative trimming along the stairs and continue it in the foyer upstayers but i don't know how to begin measuring it to make sure its the correct height once I reach the top and continue through the foyer. I really needs some help soon. I want to have a house warming but want to cover the marks left from moving in. Do you thnk painting would be a better idea?? Please HELP

Last edited by TGC81; 10-03-07 at 08:04 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 10-03-07, 09:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "decorative trimming"?

The walls probably have a cheap builders grade of paint on them - some brands have poor touch up qualities Your walls may or may not have been primed

Usually it is best to prime over the cheap paint and then apply a quality coating. IMO latex satin/eggshell enamel works well for stairwells and hallways.

Old 10-03-07, 03:03 PM
T
It's not decorative trimming, it just the trim or strips used as the chair rails or the strips used on islands to give it a decortive look. Yeah, it may not even be primed. I was thinking to just paint it but its really ahrd to reach the ceiling from the stairs and would require alot of painting. I was holing to just be able to paint the bottom part or put some paneling or soemthing there to make it easier and look better.

Old 10-03-07, 05:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
To put a chair rail up you would measure the height off of the same part of the stair tread - both at the bottom and top - that should make the height consistent. I'm not a carpenter but maybe one will stop by later with better instructions on installing it

If you have the same brand/color of paint that the stairwell was painted with you may be able to reroll the walls without cutting in the top. Paint the lower part as you normally would but dry roll the top section. I've done this many times on apartments with decent results. I don't know if that will work with every brand of paint.

Old 10-04-07, 04:48 AM
M
if you bought the townhouse through an agent you might want to ask them if the house was painted by them or the previous owner. sometimes what's done is if it is left to the agent they will just put a cheap coat of white paint to give it a clean bright look. if you ask them want brand and kind/type of paint was used you could buy a small can and paint over what you marked up. or asked one of the grounds keeper that's what my sister-in-law did and they gave her some so she could paint over the scuff marks made from when she moved in. as for the chair rail molding if your not good with a miter saw and angles i would just pay someone for that, (don't mean to be offensive) because i don't know what your knowledge is a far as wood work is, but it can be a little tricky.

Old 10-05-07, 08:44 AM
S
Why Chair Rail?

Not sure why you want to put chair rail up the stairwell. At least one side has to have a handrail which is right where you would be putting up the chair rail which would look a little bizarre.

As far as your paint, you probably have as others have said a el cheapo builders grade paint that scuffs and marks up when you look at it!!

Reprime and put a good quality scrubbable paint on the stairwell as the possibility exists for more hands on the walls going up and down stairs as well as the inevitable scuffs moving things up and down the stairs.

Old 10-05-07, 04:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by sgtgerryf
Not sure why you want to put chair rail up the stairwell. At least one side has to have a handrail which is right where you would be putting up the chair rail which would look a little bizarre.
Very good point!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: