Trim Help??!!

Old 10-07-07, 06:54 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Trim Help??!!

Hello all. I have been done with everything in my newly remodeled bathroom for about 3 weeks now. I took a well deserved break! Now I have to cap it off w/ the new trim. I have been looking at my local Lowes and not sure if anything will work and this is why: I have an old house and around the window and doors there are strips of wood so that the lath and plaster would lie flush with the window casing. Now that I have drywall (1/2") there is a 3/8" difference(if my math is right) between the drywall and the strips of wood. I should have taken those strips off and I don't think I can now b/c I would ruin my drywall. How can I put the trim up w/o it being uneven?? Someone said I could glue a piece of wood on the trim on the side away from the window so that the trim would be even with the window casing. Anyone with any info please help!! I would love to have this finished by the end of October.

Old 10-08-07, 12:10 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you're talking about gauge boards which were used so the plaster was even with the jambs. Casing is another name for the trim around doors and windows. What was suggested to you sounds like what is known as a back band, an extra piece of trim installed around the outside edge of the trim. It's probably the easiest way out of your problem though I would attach a back band with brads not glue.

I usually make back bands by ripping 1x with a table saw. I cut them so they stand 1/8" taller than the trim. I sand and radius the outside faces and install with mitered corners around the trim. Your window stool and apron will have to be 1 1/2" wider to match the extra width of the trim.

Get back if you have more questions.

Jan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: