Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How Would You Finish This Stairwell? PICS

IN

10-11-07, 12:18 AM   #1  
How Would You Finish This Stairwell? PICS

I have plenty of baseboard and door trim. How would you finish this stairwell...especially around the door and the outside wall? Obviously I'm going to put in a hand rail. I was thinking about some kind of kick plate under the door. Maybe wood? I'm really not sure.

Most of all how would you tie into the current floor boards and the door frame?

(Sorry for the poor pics...camera phone!)

Base of stairway

"Outside" wall

Top of stairway

View from the top

Last edited by hoosier122; 10-11-07 at 12:24 AM. Reason: pics

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-11-07, 03:32 AM   #2  
You'll have to post your pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and give us the urls before we can review them. Not sure how you will do that with camera phone pix.

IN

10-11-07, 05:16 AM   #3  
Better?

IN

10-11-07, 05:54 PM   #4  
No opinions or suggestions?

WI

10-11-07, 09:12 PM   #5  
Looks nice to me the way it is. You want to fancy it up more along the edge of the stairs? I guess the only thing I would've done differently is run the carpet all the way up to the door instead of worrying about a kickplate.

IN

10-11-07, 09:24 PM   #6  
Posted By: brewcityc Looks nice to me the way it is. You want to fancy it up more along the edge of the stairs? I guess the only thing I would've done differently is run the carpet all the way up to the door instead of worrying about a kickplate.
It is just really bare. I have extra 3" trim, so I think I'm going to run it horizontally up the stairs. I have thought about running 8" or 10" trim boards on either wall, but I don't think this would be feasible, because the stairs and carpet are already in place. (I would have to cut each board to match the stairs...that would be nearly impossible)

Anyone know an easier way to run wide (8") trim boards along each wall without having to custom cut each board to match the tread and rise of each stair?

TN

10-12-07, 06:32 AM   #7  
Stairs

I did not see a handrail. I would install a handrail if one is not present.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-12-07, 04:07 PM   #8  
Like the others, I studied your pictures, and could find nothing that needed to be done except install the handrail system. Just because you have extra molding laying around, don't look for someplace to put it. Like brewcityc I would have placed carpeting on the riser under the door, but otherwise.......

IN

10-13-07, 03:22 AM   #9  
I stated in my first post that I was planning on installing a hand rail. I did not install the carpet and there is no extra carpet laying around. I guess I'm going to have to come up with a solution because as you can see, the top riser gets the crap kicked out of it.

Search this Thread