Bead-Board Questions

Old 11-01-07, 08:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bead-Board Questions

laying out white veranda wanescoating panels in bath. just tiled the floor and of course the baseboard won't sit level. the corner i am starting in is square, but the last board on that wall i'll have to scribe.

Questions:

1. Due to the fact that the floor isn't level, I was planning on layin out all the boards, snapping a line and triming the tops of the boards (the chair rail gives you about 1/4" to play with because it has a slot). e.g. if i nailed the baseboard level, it would be off the tile about 3/4" insome areas.

2. We have forces hot water in this house (yeah!) so we have floor units, therefore I can't put baseboard down. does this stuff melt near a heat source???

any advice?????? please help

Old 11-01-07, 10:55 PM
J
If the base board goes in front of the bead board you could just install the chair rail level and use that to guide the install. The bead board is then cut to be just short of the floor. With the bottom several inchs covered by the base board you could probably just cut all the boards the same length.

I don't know whether heat would damage Veranda or not as I haven't used the stuff.

You can run base board around registers and whatnot fairly neatly. When the base arrives at the unit miter the base to turn it straight up. Install a piece going up the side and miter the end so the next piece goes horizontally across the top of the unit. At the end of that piece miter it so the next piece goes straight down the side. Finally miter the end of the last vertical piece to turn back to hoizontal again and continue the base in the usual fashion.

It sounds like you're going to try and follow the not so level floor with the base board. You might want to consider keeping the base level and covering gaps with a base shoe. Shoe is about 1" tall and easy to install.

If you have more questions come back and I'll try again.

Jan

Old 11-02-07, 09:12 PM
shoe mold, i wish i would have thought of that earlier. that would have solved a lot of my issues.

with that being said, I already installed the base board to the floor. i will have to make up the difference on the boards themselves. have a laser-level and it looks like the most i'll have to trim off the board is about 1/4".

I wish i would have waited until i read this post tonight!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: