caulking technique

Old 01-05-08, 11:47 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
caulking technique

I've put in all new baseboards in my house. I don't have an issue caulking per say, but I'll caulk 2-4 feet and stop so I can can smooth out the bead, but the caulk keeps coming out of the tube forever! What's the secret to prevent this? I swear half a tube is wasted from this. I can't believe professionals carry around a towel to set it on and clean it up constantly or loosen the rod everytime. There has to be an easy fix! Thanks!

Old 01-05-08, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
caulking

you probably have a ratchet style gun? Get a smooth rod style that retracts a bit when you release the trigger, it'll say dripless or similar. A decent one for homeowner use costs about $5-6. You'll never use a ratchet style again.

Also, only doing 2-4 ft? I've always found it easier to get one whole length done, then come back and finger it if i need to. Work on your technique a bit, and you'll find you'll be doing less and less smoothing. Most people cut the tip too big.

Not criticizing, just offering suggestions

Old 01-05-08, 12:41 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a smooth rod gun. I also have an 18v power caulk gun. Same thing happens on both. I think I'll try letting go of the trigger 1/2 way down the length and see if it'll finish dripping before I get to the end.

Old 01-05-08, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
caulking

Just because its a smooth rod doesn't mean its dripless. Does the rod retract and release tension when you let go of it? Try it with the cartridge out to see. Stop by a store with an assortment and you'll see what i mean. Really makes all the difference in the world.

Pretty sure the power guns just stop when you let go, the cartridge has to release the pressure by putting out a bit more caulk. Now if they had one that backed up a bit when you released the trigger...that would be cool!

Old 01-05-08, 03:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Your caulking gun should have a release lever just past the back of the tube. The lever takes the pressure off of the plunger which helps to stop the flow. Some tubes of caulking are worse than others to keep flowing.

I've used most every type of caulking gun other than a power gun. You always need to release the pressure. On the old ratchet style that meant turning and pulling out the plunger a little when you stop. I prefer the cualking guns in the $15 -$20 range.

Old 01-05-08, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
guns

$15-20 for a caulking gun? I can understand if yer a pro...but for most of us, thats more than we need. Once i got the one that retracts a bit when you release it, never had that goop running out anymore....like the old commercial..."try it...you'll like it"

Old 01-05-08, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
And finger smoothing caulk only gets your finger caulked. I use a small 2x3 sponge and 1 gallon bucket with water. It takes all the excess off and only leaves what is needed in the crack. Keep the sponge clean.

Old 01-06-08, 05:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I also use a sponge and bucket of water. You only want the sponge to be damp. I've seen some that use too much water which usually results in washing out the majority of the caulk = failure A wet sponge also helps to keep your fingers clean

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: