Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Removing Wood Paneling when nailed to concrete block?

Old 02-07-08, 07:49 AM

Hi,
I am in the process of renovating a home I am buying which has wood paneling throughout the family room. The room was an original carport that was converted back in the 70's. They basically built it with concrete block and just nailed the paneling into it. There is no drywall or anything in between.
I am planning to just put the drywall on top of the concrete block after the wood is removed. I will be removing it this weekend, is there anything else I need to do? Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-08, 08:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Kristy!

It would be odd for the paneling to be directly attached to the masonary. Usually furring strips [often 1x2s] are nailed or screwed to the block and then the paneling/drywall is attached to the furring strips. This also leaves a little room for insulation and electrical.

Old 02-07-08, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. There really is nothing in between the concrete block and the paneling. There is no Central A/C - only window/wall units, so there was never any need for insulation. The room is the only room to the left side of the house, so noise was never an issue either. Once I remove the paneling, should I just drywall?

Old 02-07-08, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You would still need to use furring strips. Having the drywall [paneling too] directly attached to the block is an invitation for moisture damage and mold

The gap between the drywall and block [using furring strips] might as well be insulated and have a vopor barrier. Code calls for elec outlets to be on every wall [also every so many feet] so that should be done at the same time.

Old 02-07-08, 01:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a myriad of tools, but the one I really want is the one that will nail paneling to concrete block! Maybe it is just glued up, but I doubt it is nailed.