Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crown Moulding

02-09-08, 06:53 AM   #1  
Crown Moulding

Good morning. I am going to attempt to install crown in one of my rooms. I have been reviewing How to's so I think I am ready to start. I have one question though. It is suggested to use a guage block and mark the total rise on the wall less 1/16 inch. What would the reason be to make a shy mark when you would not be able to see it when the moulding is held to the wall to fit. Why not mark to the full rise and hold to the piece to that mark. Am I making sense. As always, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

02-09-08, 07:15 AM   #2  
Not sure why they would make that recommendation unless they are assuming that there is always some joint compound buildup in the corner. If you put a framing square in the corner of your ceiling you may find that the corner is not perfectly square due to the tape and joint compound. And since you are measuring down from that point to make your marks on the wall, (instead of where the front of the crown will actually be) you would need to compensate for that, or else you'll have marked the line too low and if you go by a mark that is too low you will be rolling the crown up to meet the ceiling, which would open your gaps (top of the miter) at the corners.

Rather than assuming this discrepancy is 1/16", you would probably be better off if you actually took a scrap of crown moulding, held it up against the ceiling and centered it where it needs to sit. Then scribe a line on the bottom. Now measure down from the corner to that line and use that as a reference. It will probably end up being the same measurement, but you get the idea. You'll make these marks primarily at the corners. The bottom of the crown should run straight... if you ceiling happens to bow up or down, you roll the top of the crown up or down while keeping the bottom edge as straight as possible. Making reference marks by measuring down from a wavy ceiling would be a big mistake.

02-09-08, 10:49 AM   #3  
Thank you very much

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

02-11-08, 12:22 PM   #4  
What I do is, cut off the corner that will touch the ceiling and the wall just enough that it will not touch any build up. The reason for it being a 1/16 shy is so when you are finished you don't have a bunch of lines on your wall. You can roll the crown up, to see the line, then you want to cover the line and nail.

Good luck.

02-12-08, 07:27 AM   #5  
Thank you Toolrank

Search this Thread