Crown with no studs

Old 02-13-08, 08:43 AM
Crown with no studs

I am planning to install crown in my hallway and there is a section of wall (5-6 ft or so) that I am reasonably certain has no studs behind it. It is over the doorway to the basement. After getting nothing with an electronic studfinder, I have poked about 25 holes in the wall to attempt to find them with no luck. This section of wall has both an inside (left side) and outside (right side) corner on its ends.

I was planning to create a series of trianglular backing blocks and glue them up with liquid nails and then nail the moulding into them. However I'm a little nervous using adhesives on my wallboard. I am also wondering if the adhesion will be enough.

Any suggestions for this plan or another?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-08, 12:24 PM
Backer Blocks

Pre-drill the blocks at a 45 deg. angle and attach to the wall top plate with long screws.

Old 02-13-08, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will be fine with liquid nails and nail the crown backer on. Screws will definitely be better. When we run miles of this stuff at work, we use liquid nails and cross nail everything. Unless it is some really big crown, then we screw it.

Good luck

Old 02-14-08, 09:45 AM
Your idea sounds good, I have done this before on a job finishing a basement. The home owner built the walls and drywalled it, he went from 2 foot centers to 4 foot centers!! some sections only had studs at the end of the short walls. What I did was to cut 2x6 (just scrap I had) at the right angle to fit the length of wall, so I could at least nail the ends, I glued the middle with construction adheasive and it worked great- no call back! you should be able to hit a ceiling rafter also, the more glue surface the better. Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-08, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Something similar.

This has also become a big problem for us at work now that everyone likes to use metal studs for everything. We either have to attach backing with screws, or if the crown is small enough, use liquid nails, and lots of nails.

I hate doing base even more, as you always end up hitting the bottom plate with the nails. So either the nails don't set, or they curve back out the front of the base.