Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I cut cove moulding?

NY

02-14-08, 04:13 PM   #1  
How do I cut cove moulding?

I bought one of those fancy compound miter saws, thought that and the materials were all I needed. I've wasted 8' of moulding and I still can't figure out how this is done.
I'm trying to cover that gap between wall and ceiling. I bought some of that pre-finished polystyrene oak. (It matches the cabinets) My problem is how do I lay it on the saw to get the angle right? Walls are not square in the corners. Wall to ceiling is ok.
Is this a basic 45 degree cut or is it a compound cut?
The cove moulding has a full squared back like 1/4 round. I know I can back cut it to fine tune it, but I can't even get that far.
HELP!!!!!!!! I wanted to have this job finished by the end of the weekend.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-15-08, 05:20 AM   #2  
If I remember correctly, it's just a simple 45` cut. I assume you still have some of the "wasted 8' of moulding" - cut 2 short pieces on opposing 45` and fine tune it from there.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

02-15-08, 06:59 AM   #3  
Thanks
I think I know what I was doing wrong now. Instead of standing the moulding as it would be hung on the wall, I laid it down so the top that went against the ceiling was against the fence. Going to give it another shot today.
Yes, I have plenty of wasted pieces to try it out on.

Search this Thread