Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

attaching baseboard shoe w/ tile floor?

Old 02-26-08, 04:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I recently installed baseboard throughout my kitchen. I know normally the shoe moulding would be nailed to the floor, but my kitchen has tile floors, is there some other way that it can be attached? I figure Attaching it directly to the baseboard defeats the purpose and I don't want to leave it off because the floors are not level, leaving a gap of varying size between the b'board and the floor. Thanks for any help!

Old 02-26-08, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, you can nail it to the baseboard. The usual baseshoe moulding used around here is about 3/4 tall and 1/2" wide. It's easier to shoot this profile to the baseboard than it is to shoot it to the floor, since it is taller than it is wide. Since it is a fairly thin profile, it easy to push down tight to the floor, and nail to the baseboard to keep it tight.

Quarter round is used by some as "base shoe" and since it is 3/4 x 3/4, the nails usually go in at a 45 degree angle, partially hitting the base, mainly going into the floor. It's a little more difficult to nail quarter round to the base and keep it tight to the floor. So I'd suggest you use the base shoe mentioned above, and not quarter round.

Old 02-26-08, 06:59 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had thought that it might often be attached to the floor because of expansion and contraction, but if this won't be such a problem it'll make my job much easier. thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: