Baseboard height with tile and carpet

Old 02-20-08, 07:59 PM
Baseboard height with tile and carpet

I'm nearly finished my year long basement build and getting to some fine points. The floor is concrete and I have installed a slate tile door entrance. I'm getting ready to install the baseboard and and not sure how high to nail it to the wall. We will install carpet and a thick underpad. There are currently no tack strips installed for the carpet yet. I read in a few posts here that the recommendation is leave one half inch up for the moulding from the concrete is this correct ? Also how do I deal with the tile floor. If I put the moulding up 1/2 inch I'll have a gap under the moulding at the tile floor ? ( layout is door - tile floor - then concrete floor)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-08, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your tile should be about 1/2 inch tall to begin with, so if you follow this elevation all around the room you should be just fine. I usually use 3 pieces of the base molding laid flat for a spacer to set the base on. All you are doing is leaving a gap for the carpet layers to tuck their excess carpet under to make a smooth job. They will install tack strips slightly away from your molding so the tucking will be easier.

Old 02-21-08, 03:05 PM
Wink

Like said keep the base up for the carpet there for sure. They can cut and tuck the carpet under it . As the nail strip is right in front of it. On the tile part .Id do the tile first then the base. If not you might have to cover its edge to the base with another piece of 1/4 round.

Old 02-25-08, 04:08 PM
Anytime I have removed carpet,the base trim was flush with the floor.This is true in my current house and when I was in my condo before.Carpet was always flush and neat.Is this a standard thing to leave a gap or is it just to get the most profile out of the trim?I just picked up my base trim and bought the 5 inch and was intending to install it flush and get more profile from the bigger trim once the carpet is installed.Any comments appreciated before I start installation.Also, since I'm using bigger base trim,do I need to increase the size of the trim around the doors,windows?Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-08, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys, leaving a half inch may make the job easier since I'll just lay it flush on the tile and it'll end up being the half inch off the floor from the tile end point.

Search this Thread