Crown Molding - Help!

Old 03-11-08, 07:41 PM
Arrow Crown Molding - Help!

I am in the process of installing crown molding in a newly remodeled kitchen. While hanging the drywall I boxed out some radiator pipes. Now that this is all complete I need to install the crown modling around this area. The problem is this:

I am using 2 3/4" crown with inside and outside corners to make my life easier When I get to this section of the wall it is 2" deep and 10" across then 2" deep again before it meets the remainder of the wall.

The depth is too small to place an inside corner and then an outide corner for the molding. What do I do? Can I have all inside and outside corners except this small portion do miter cuts?

HELP ME OUT PLEASE

Thanks and stay safe...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-08, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
It must be getting late... I'm having trouble picturing your situation. Can you snap a digital pic... upload it to a website like photobucket... and then paste the link here?

I'm thinking that maybe what you need to do is forget your premade corners and actually make miters in this section. Use some scraps to practice with and see if you can do it.

Old 03-11-08, 10:57 PM
Thanks XSleeper... I will take a pic first thing tomorrow or should I say in the morning and post it. Ahhhh... The night shift

Old 03-12-08, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
While we wait on the pix, I agree with XSleeper in abandoning the premade corners in this area. Now, you have to show your carpentry skills!!! Really it isn't that difficult. Are using a compound miter saw for your cuts? If so there are detents at 31.6 degrees left and right and about 30 degrees bevel on the back of the saw. If you use these detents, lay your molding flat on the table, you don't have to worry with the "upside down and backwards" positioning in order to get the proper cuts. Let us know how it goes, and we'll analyze the pix as well and give further advice.

Old 03-12-08, 10:09 PM
Okay here are some pics of my little "problem area". Thanks so far for the help. If I understand right it would look okay to use the corners everywhere else but here I could use mitered corners.

Old 03-12-08, 11:32 PM
Yup follow Chandlers advice.

Old 03-13-08, 03:47 AM
Definitely miter the areas around the chases, but consider gluing the smaller pieces, since nailing may shatter the wood. Cut the piece and install it on the face of the chase before cutting the smaller pieces to meet the ones on the wall.

Old 03-13-08, 10:40 AM
Thank you all for your help. I am going to use the decorative corners we purchased on the other corners and miter the ones around the chase. This is on tomorrow's list so I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again everyone

Old 03-13-08, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I'd probably make a 10" long U shaped piece (glued and brad nailed together into one piece) that would butt up against the wall. It would have miters on the outside corners, but it would butt up square to the long wall. The long pieces that go on the long wall (on each side of this U shaped piece) would then get coped to fit up against each side instead of having a miter on the inside corner.

Old 03-13-08, 06:46 PM
Can you explain the coping mehtod to me in very simple terms

Old 03-13-08, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Sure... although I'm sure you'd find a better explanation if you Googled "coping crown moulding" or something like that!

When you cope a joint, you mimic the "look" of a 45 degree miter by cutting the profile of one piece onto another, then butting them together in a corner.

To do this, it's fairly easy. One piece butts into the wall and has a square cut on the end. The other piece gets cut at a 45, like it is going to be a mitered inside corner. But then the "cut portion"... the face that would normally be the miter... gets removed.

Maybe these pictures will help you visualize it:

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...coping%20trim/

Old 03-17-08, 07:02 AM
Well I finished coping the corners of the chase yesterday. Wow! Not something I will be doing on a regular basis. It looked nothing like these pictures but I got the job done and after a bit of "Sin Cover" aka caulking, it didn't come out too bad. I ended up using a hand coping saw and it is definately a skill to be had and god bless those than can do it.

Thank you all for your help. You can't even imagine how much of a help it was

Old 03-17-08, 01:54 PM
OK, where are the pix?! Don't take us to the edge and not let us jump in!