Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Finish Nailer Choice

WI

03-14-08, 03:26 PM   #1  
Finish Nailer Choice

I am planning on putting tongue and groove boards on the ceiling and walls of several rooms. I want to buy a finish nailer but am undecided regarding nail size. It is my understanding that 16Ga. nailers do not use a true nail, but rather a square brad, which I do not want. That leaves either 15Ga. or 18Ga.
My concern is that the 15Ga. is overkill and will split the tongue on the boards. After this project the nailer will be used mainly for window and door trim and for furniture making. HELP !!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-14-08, 03:37 PM   #2  
Welcometo the forums!

I'm not sure I understand why you don't want to use 16 gauge. I'm well satisfied with mine. An 18 guage pin nailer shoots a smaller nail and is limitted to short sizes - probably not long enough to hold your T&G. I don't have a 15 gauge nail gun but wouldn't expect it to split the wood.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TN

03-14-08, 04:55 PM   #3  
Nailer

Take a look for yourself at the nails used in a 16 gauge nailer. I think you will find the head is sufficient to hold the boards you are planning to install.

Group Moderator

NE

03-14-08, 05:13 PM   #4  
Much of the time, angled finish nailers shoot 15 ga nails while straight finish nailers shoot 16 ga nails. Either will do fine and should not split the wood. I don't think you would want to use a small 18 ga brad nail for this, since you want decent holding power.

IMO, an angled finish nailer is more handy than a straight one when it comes to nailing, because the magazine is angled out of the way, giving you more flexability with the angle you can hold the gun as you nail.

Search this Thread