Carpetting on Dricore

Old 03-16-08, 07:14 AM
Carpetting on Dricore

I am about to install carpet (plus carpet pad) on my Dricore floor in the basement. There is no baseboard installed yet.
I know this is an old topic but could anybody tell me what is wrong with the following steps:
1-Installing tack strips (How much should be the gap between the tack strips and the wall?)
2-Installing carpet
3-Installing baseboard on top of the carpet

I know many say first install the baseboard then carpet but I simply do not undrestand what is wrong with the above?
The reason that I do not want to first install the baseboard then carpet is that I am not a professional and probably the gap I will leave as "gulley" (Tha gap between the tack trip and the basboard) will not be good enough for a perfect look. Second when pushing the carpet in the gulley I can simply scratch the basboard and the most important factor is the simplicity of the way I have in mind.
Any comment is appreciated!

Last edited by Cyrus; 03-16-08 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-08, 10:47 AM
I prefer to install baseboards last after flooring is done.
However, with the restoration Co. I work for, that often isnt the case due to arrangements to get the carpeting installer in, so often I/we install base before the carpet is laid and leave about 3/8" gap so the carpet can be tucked in under the base.
We do this only when carpet is to be installed. Any other flooring is done 1st, then the base.

Old 03-16-08, 05:21 PM
I just finished installing baseboard over basement carpet. IMO the disadvantage is that if the slab is uneven it's difficult to get the baseboard to fit the carpet snugly. The basement I just did has some low spots in the slab of almost 1/2". Some of that can be made up by tweaking the baseboard and fluffing the carpet but I still had a couple of spots with a small gap between the baseboard and the carpet.

I would be more concerned with carpet over dricore. Do you have a moisture problem?

Old 03-17-08, 06:20 PM
I have Rarely seen flat floors while installing many a baseboards, especially concrete.
Either way, some tweeking is involved. It could be a question of either tweeking the base to fit the carpet, or tweek the carpet to fit the base.
You do want your base to look even/straight the entire length of the room. Fluff the carpet to meet the base as you install it.

Search this Thread