baseboard vs casing

Old 03-17-08, 07:19 AM
baseboard vs casing

Im getting ready to replace all trim in a friends house. My stupid question is what is the difference between baseboard and door/window casing? I know casing is usually narrower than baseboard but is it supposed to have the same cut? Are they supposed to match exactly except for the width?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-08, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Hi djsrcy
You will normally want to match the casing and the base styles, colonial to colonial, ranch/clam to ranch/clam, etc. The colonial profiles may not be exactly the same due to the increased width, i.e. the flat areas btwn the cut profiles may be larger, or the rounded areas may be of greater diameter.

There are always exceptions, for instance using large colonial base, then using rosettes, plinth blocks and grooved or flat moulding around doors and windows.

You will often see differences btwn base and casing in the same 'family'. Out here in AZ the ranch or clam base has a flat lower edge, while the casing is more rounded over on the thick edge.

The wider base is sometimes used as casing, esp when, say, a slightly smaller patio door is put in an opening designed for a larger door.

Hope this helped

Old 03-17-08, 08:26 AM
thanks for the reply. To be honest I have no clue what alot of that meant. My baseboard is 3 1/4" high. It is flat probably 2 1/2 inches up from the ground with just a little detail on the top. ($40 for 96') What I got is that I should try to find casing to match and if not then get something close or in the same family. yes?

Old 03-17-08, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry if I used terms unfamiliar, I didn't know many of them myself 10 yrs ago...lol

http://www.woodgraindistribution.com/hoffman.html

This is a link to a company catalog that shows many (not all) of the types and styles available. Page 10 and 11 have base styles. Style 710 and 713 are called ranch or clam (in some parts of the country), most of the others are a various styles of colonial. Page 5 and 6 show casing. Style 327 is the ranch/clam.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, old teaching instincts...lol

To answer your question ,Yes, find something that looks good to you, in the same style. Probably something around 2 1/4" or so. Places that sell it, should be able to provide you with some appropriate matches.

Old 03-17-08, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
You bring up a subject that usually causes me to rant a bit. Builders here often use wedge casing for base board. Guess it saves money to use the same thing they trim the doors with but it looks stupid to me plus the very real problem there is no flat surface perpendicular to the floor for the base shoe (quarter round). Base shoe ends up not quite flush to the floor.

Old 03-17-08, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
See, 10 yrs of learning this stuff and iI don't have a clue

Ray2047, what is wedge casing? I'm thinking ranch/clam? Fully rounded like an airplane wing upper surface?

Old 03-17-08, 10:13 AM
the baseboard im using looks alot like #623 on pg 12. Out of curiosity, what would be some good casing to go with this??

Old 03-17-08, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Casing 442 or 376 (pg 5) are commonly used with 623 base, and should be readily available. They were probably my 2 biggest sellers back in VA. We had both in bare wood, primed, MDF, and PVC.

Choose the one you like, but 442 is a bit easier to finish, as the profile is relatively simple and it has no deep grooves to hold excess paint or stain.

Have you got your power mitre saw yet? lol

Old 03-17-08, 11:06 AM
i think we are in different catalogs. I clicked the kentucky location and then clicked catalog in there. I dont see 442 or 376.

Last edited by Djsrcy; 03-17-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh ok sorry, how bout page 6? Those are pretty std profiles.

Was this the one you were on?

http://www.woodgraindistribution.com...%20Catalog.pdf

Old 03-17-08, 12:19 PM
lets use private messages.

Search this Thread