painting Panel Board

Old 03-23-08, 11:32 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
painting Panel Board

I want to paint my panel board in basement I have asked around and the best way seems to be a light sanding then apply a good quality primer ,My question is can the lines in the paneling be filled with drywall mud and will it hold If not what is the recommended procedure

Old 03-23-08, 12:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi,

No, I'm afraid drywall mud will not work. If you want to paint and don't want the panel and groove to show, why don't you just remove the panels? It won't be any harder to take off the baseboards and reset the electrical boxes than it would be to sand all that panel.

Old 03-23-08, 12:18 PM
S
to remove paneling I would have to take down suspended ceiling,then shorten tracking to make up for the diff between 1/4 paneling and 1/2 inch drywall,Don't really want to go that route

Old 03-23-08, 12:29 PM
Cut the panel with a trim saw just under the track...it doesn't have to be pretty. Cut your drywall a little short, fill the void with foam backer and mud.

Old 03-23-08, 12:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
The grooves in the paneling can be filled with either j/c or spackling but a poorly filled groove looks bad!! and the 4' joints if filled with j/c or spackling are likely to crack

IMO painted paneling with the grooves showing doesn't look bad [especially if you consider the alternative] Another option would be to overlay 1/4" drywall on top of the paneling.

Old 03-23-08, 07:13 PM
Oh, shoot, Mark...I wish I'd said that!

Sorry, ski, I was going to have you do all that work...Mark's suggestion to just cover with 1/4" drywall is a much better idea than mine.

You may need to get extenders for your electrical boxes

Old 03-23-08, 07:21 PM
S
thxs all,Think i'm gonna go with paint in the grove way,I can drywall not bad but my mudding and taping leaves alot to be desired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: