Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attaching fluted casing

GA

03-23-08, 04:05 PM   #1  
Attaching fluted casing

I need to attach some fluted casing to a bookshelf I'm building. What is the best way to attach it? It will be attached to a backing of 1/2 plywood edge, 2x4 edge, 1/2 plywood edge, in that order. Should I use construction adhesive, wood glue, nails, something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

SC

03-23-08, 06:45 PM   #2  
If it will be attached to plywood, I would use glue with either brads or clamps or both to hold it until the glue sets.

GA

03-24-08, 05:58 AM   #3  
It will be attached to plywood, but the main backing will be a 2x4. It will look something like this:

The first section is 1/2 plywood edge, then the 2x4 edge, then another 1/2 plywood edge. The casing will be used to cover and "pretty" up the edge of the bookshelf, so it will be laid flat on top of them.

03-24-08, 06:08 AM   #4  
Hi, personally I think the method of securing any finished molding has more to do with how you intend to finish it.
If it is pained, it won't matter as much as if you stain it.

The other factor is your level of competence and tools you may have at your disposal.

I'll bet you'll get more responses, when you clarify those points.

PS it looks like you used Paint to draw you example, how did you insert it into your post. What are the steps?

Thanks

GA

03-24-08, 06:23 AM   #5  
Posted By: MissTFried Hi, personally I think the method of securing any finished molding has more to do with how you intend to finish it.
If it is pained, it won't matter as much as if you stain it.

The other factor is your level of competence and tools you may have at your disposal.

I'll bet you'll get more responses, when you clarify those points.

PS it looks like you used Paint to draw you example, how did you insert it into your post. What are the steps?

Thanks
I plan on painting it.

I have a finish nailer, but no brad nailer. I have wood glue and can get construction adhesive, but I don't really have an easy way to clamp it after attaching it. The shelf is already attached to the wall. I was trying to avoid nailing it because I think it might split or destroy the casing.

I uploaded the picture to my webhost and just inserted an image link using the image button on the post editor.

SC

03-24-08, 06:42 AM   #6  
I expect an air nailer to drive the blunt fastener so fast that splitting is not a concern.

03-24-08, 06:47 AM   #7  
Thanks for you reply, If your painting, then I agree with "chfite" use adhesive then uses your finish nailer to
"hold" the trim while the glue sets. You can cover the nail head dimpling with wood putty or even caulk (makes sure its paintable).

I dont' think splitting will be an issue, but you could easily test it by nailing into a piece of scrap fluting. Presumably it is a soft wood but with a pneumatic nailer splitting is less of an issue.

As for adhesive, I'm a tight-bond band in a case like this, it will spread out relatively easily and give good coverage.

Good luck with your project

Search this Thread