paneling over insulation panels?

Old 03-25-08, 08:04 AM
paneling over insulation panels?

I put up insulation panels in my garage ceiling and the shiny metal look is starting to wear on me. I will be updating my garage and was wondering ifI can put paneling over this and how to go about it? If I cant, what can I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-08, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are the studs exposed on the inside? If so, then you can install any wall covering you desire. If you have placed the panels over the studs, then, although it is possible, it will be not as eye appealing once the panels begin to bulge out due to humidity. I would use a thicker wall covering such as 7/16 grooved bead type plywood.

Old 03-25-08, 06:12 PM
Yea, the panels are on under the rafters so all you see are the insulation.

Old 03-26-08, 04:58 PM
If you have insulation in the attic, the panels would really serve no good purpose except to add a minor number to the insulation value. Could you not remove the panels and install sheetrock or another substantive covering. Thin paneling won't cut it as it will begin to bow between the joists and will always look wavy. Sheetrock or t&g beadboard would be a good alternative.

Old 03-27-08, 04:05 PM
Yea I was looking for a cheap way to insulate my garage since it had exposed rafters. It does the trick and my kerosene heater actually keeps it pretty warm. I taped the seams with some really strong tape and it has held up very well for 3 years. Just trying to make it look nicer.

Old 03-28-08, 04:50 AM
You can always leave it intact and install a heavier panel (3/8" at least) over the panels you have there, just have to use longer screws. The reason, as stated, for thicker covering is to keep it from sagging.

Old 03-28-08, 03:28 PM
Im thinking of ripping it down and putting osb board in its place as a cheaper and better looking alternative. Think this is a good idea?

Old 03-28-08, 06:21 PM
You could do that. OSB would be a good, sturdy ceiling. Better looking???? In the eye of the beholder.

Old 03-29-08, 02:25 AM
I think after its painted it would look ok. How could I seal the seams of osb though?

Old 03-29-08, 04:40 PM
You could always run lattice strips along the seams, then equally across at 4' intervals on the long dimension.

Old 03-29-08, 05:30 PM
On the exposed side or top? Glue ot screw?