Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing a mirror

PA

04-03-08, 03:29 AM   #1  
Framing a mirror

I have a big flat mirror in my bathroom. I'd like to frame it in but I don't know where to start. Can I just put trim pieces around it or am I making the job too simple. I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks, Cindi

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-03-08, 04:21 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums Cindi!

You can buy mirror moulding. It has a rabbit on the back side to accomadate the mirror...... or you can use most any wood/trim and cut your own rabbit with a table saw. This allows the trim to nail flush to the wall and fit over the mirror.

IMO it's easiest to cut to fit and then stain and varnish or paint prior to installation.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-03-08, 07:23 PM   #3  
Chair rail molding will have that rabbet cut in if you like that design. Miter your corners, glue and nail the pieces together, first as Marksr suggests. You can install the entire unit over your mirror and nail it to the wall after you finish it.

CO

04-04-08, 10:53 AM   #4  
I have a similar question. My wife has a piece of art which is rather large.... 48" by 36". We have looked into Framing and the price comes back at something over $600. I found some crown molding that she likes, and would like to make a frame out of it. It cost about $3.50 per foot so if I could do this it would be fairly inexpensive.

What I have tried so far is glueing a piece of small trim to the back of the crown. This will create a space for the glass and the picture.

I am not sure what angle to set my chop saw at to create the correct joint. I am also not sure how to create a strong joint at the corners where the pieces will be connected.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-04-08, 05:01 PM   #5  
31.6 degrees right/left and 33.6 degree bevel. Lay your crown flat on the bed, bottom toward you and cut it. Of course this is the standard settings for crown molding. I think it will be too pronounced for what you are doing, though. You will have to do a trial and error to get the proper profile to suit you.

Search this Thread