Stained trim around doors

Old 04-05-08, 02:34 PM
Stained trim around doors

I am finishing up my downstairs remodel and have come upon a trim situation where I need some advice.

In all of the rooms I have installed pine, six panel doors and finished them in a dark stain and polyurethane, as well as the door frames and casings. I have now come to two doors that lead to the garage and outside. Problem is these door frames are primed, finger jointed wood, instead of the stain grade frames I used elsewhere. I was planning on using the stained trim around the door frame but I'm not sure what to do about the primed surfaces.

What normally happens in a case like this?

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-08, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Randy. With the primer on the door frames, and them being finger jointed, stain won't be a good finish. You will probably be relegated to painting the casings. All won't be lost, however, you may can still stain the doors and paint the casings and frames a similar color as the stain. A good paint store may can give better advice as to the matching of the colors.

Old 04-05-08, 06:55 PM
Hey Chandler, thanks for the reply.

Painting is what I was thinking of doing. Maybe a dark brown or something like that. Have you ever seen that done before? I'm just not sure how it will look until I do it. I wish I could stain it all but with the jointed pieces I'm sure it wouldn't look that good. I was contemplating maybe gluing on some veneer but I have abandoned that idea.

Thanks again

Old 04-05-08, 07:43 PM
Yeah, veneer will cheapen it up. Do the paint thing and get as good a match as possible and I don't think you would ever notice it.

Old 04-06-08, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've run into this a lot. Normally this will get painted the same color [but in enamel] as the walls although I have painted them with a color similiar to the stained trim.

The only other 2 options is to either replace with stain grade or apply a faux finish to mimic a stained door.

Old 04-06-08, 11:02 AM
I've decided to try to match the trim color in an enamel. I've tried the faux finish thing before and I was terrible at it, so that option is definitely out. I'm sure I would screw that up something fierce.

Thanks for the tips Mark. I was hoping that someone who has run into this before would respond, as I do not posses the ability to see how something would appear until after it is finished. My minds eye is blind.

Randy

Old 04-06-08, 11:53 AM
Glad Marksr saw the post and was able to respond. I hate painting, but he has it for dessert, so what he said.

Old 04-06-08, 04:17 PM
stain problem

I would try to find a paint color that matches the stain as best you can. If it doesn't work you can always prime over it and paint it white. I know..I know... more work, but what can you do?

Old 04-06-08, 04:36 PM
I think it would be less noticeable to go with stained doors like the rest of the doors in the home. The painted trim would be less likely to be noticed, especially as it involves only two doors which are not in the main part of the house. One leads to the garage and one leads to the outdoors. Of course, one could replace the door trim and stain it like the rest of the trim, leaving the casing white. This option would be the least noticeable of all because as one views the doors and trim from the interior while doors are closed, they will all look the same. Only the casing will be white.

Old 04-07-08, 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I took a piece of the stained trim to my local paint store and had them match it as best they could. It came out a medium to dark brown. Of course it doesn't match the stained wood, but it offers a nice contrast and my wife thinks it looks good...that's all that matters anyway. lol I like it also. It's not bad.

Old 04-08-08, 04:51 PM
Randy: wifey likes it, mission accomplished. You're the hero.

Old 04-09-08, 03:37 AM
Yep, us old timers know that that's pretty much all that matters when you're dealing with this house stuff. I'd like to say that one of these years I'll be finished with this remodeling stuff, but I think as long as I own a house, and am able, I will be doing it.

By the way, Chandler. I see that you are from Young Harris, Ga. I'm going to be in your neck of the woods this weekend for a wedding. Most of my immediate family lives in Clarkesville, which I believe is not that far from Young Harris. Hope the weather will be accommodating while we are there. I'm currently in SF Bay Area.

Thanks again...Randy

Old 04-09-08, 03:54 PM
Yeah, Clarkesville is about 40 miles from here, over a couple of hills and down some valleys. Wx will be spring like until Monday. It is supposed to snow and be a little cooler here in the mountains. Welcome back to the North Georgia area! Beware, you may like it too much.

Old 04-09-08, 04:00 PM
Oh yeah, I love the mountains of North Georgia...especially this time of year. But I'm not looking forward to snow...that's why I left Ohio...YUK! Oh well.