Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page > Caulk vs Wood Filler vs Window Glazing

Caulk vs Wood Filler vs Window Glazing

Old 04-19-08, 05:24 AM
Caulk vs Wood Filler vs Window Glazing

Hey Guys,

I just finished triming out a room including crown molding and chair rail. All trim is paint grade wood. I am concerned about preping the crown molding for piant. How would you fill in the gaps in the corners? I was going to use caulk but i have FJP 4 5/8" crown and my inside corners (coped) could have been a bit tighter. I heard that the crown may push out the caulk after a heating season or two. As such, I turn to you all. How would you finish off crown and all trim joints/nail holes for that matter? What's the best way?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 06:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use painter's putty or window glazing to fill all the nail holes. Use caulking for everything else. Crown can be hard to keep caulked - some jobs seems to be worse than others. A polyurathane caulk would be best, otherwise use an quality siliconized acrylic latex caulk.

Old 04-19-08, 07:30 AM
Hey Marksr,

Is the cleanup the same (water/sponge) on either caulk type?

As always, thanks for the advice. It's really appreciated. I really need to post pictures for some of the projects you and this board have gotten me through!

Gianni

Last edited by gianni; 04-19-08 at 07:33 AM. Reason: I spelled my own name wrong :)
Old 04-19-08, 03:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't used much of the polyurathane caulking - they don't sell it around here so you have to special order it Seems like it might have been stickier, it costs more too but the only place you really need it is on the crown moulding.

I always like a wet sponge to keep my fingers clean but it is important to not overly wet the caulk. I've seen some that slap the caulk on and then rely on a wet sponge/rag to wipe off the excess and smooth it out - this often results in caulking failure because too much caulk is removed and what's left has been thinned down It is always best to apply the caulk as neatly as you can and then lightly/gently wipe the bead of caulk to smooth it out and press it in.

Old 04-19-08, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the gaps are excessive, caulk in multiple steps. Allow time for the first pass to set up and then re-hit the areas that need additional caulk later.

Old 04-20-08, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another product you can use is Big Flex. It never cracks, just flexes, is NOT stainable, but paints well. Can't remember if it is water soluble or not, but works great in corners.

Search this Thread