Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bullnose corners - Square baseboard or angle it?

05-01-08, 08:29 AM   #1  
Bullnose corners - Square baseboard or angle it?

Is it a fashion faux pas to use square baseboard corners when you have 1/2 inch bullnose type wall corners? I would fill the gap with wood putty.

I don't like how many of the 45 degree bullnose corners look given how hard it is to make the two seams look flush.

Or should I use rounded corner blocks?

Thanks again all.

Sponsored Links

05-01-08, 12:30 PM   #2  
Hybrid idea

What do you think of this idea?

For the baseboard I was planning on using S4S 1x4s (MDF) capped by Casing trim. For these bull nose corners, what is I left the bottom square (45 degree mitred corners) and used a bullnose corner block or matching trim on top of it. So it's both square and rounded with the casing on top covering up the gap of the S4S baseboard below.

Would certainly be different.

I thought I could either leave the corners of the bottom baseboard square or cut off the upper corner and leave a triangular plane leading up to the curved upper part of the baseboard.

P.S. I meant to say in above post the bullnose is 3/4 inch radii.

Group Moderator

NE

05-01-08, 02:37 PM   #3  
I'd cut a 22.5 degree corner block using the baseboard you plan on using. it will just be a small piece maybe 3/4" wide on the back side. Then just tape and glue it or pin nail it to the baseboard on the sides, which would also have a 22.5 miter on them. It will want to split, so glue on small pieces is a good idea.

You'd do the same thing w/any moulding you apply on top. It will leave less of a gap to caulk doing it this way and will look a lot better, provided you do a nice job and trim it neatly.

Search this Thread