Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Base cap, S4S Baseboard & Shoe - Classic Baseboard setup?

05-12-08, 08:15 AM   #1  
Base cap, S4S Baseboard & Shoe - Classic Baseboard setup?

I like the shadows you get from using a standard 11/16 x 1 3/8 base cap on top of S4S. My question is, with base shoe is that a classic look baseboard? Some people have expressed the view that base shoe screams remodel.

Also, if you use this setup, what width should the S4S be? 5/8 allows the base cap to extend over the baseboard. If 3/4 then do you need to bevel or round over the edge?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

05-12-08, 09:01 AM   #2  
Monster,
I've never understood why some folks say that either. Now IMO that big 1/4 round looks cheap and crappy, but shoe flexes to get down tight to the flooring and gives a good finished appearance.

As to the other stuff, have you considered using speedbase, or will you be staining and need the real wood?

I'd think you'd want to at least break the edge a bit on the base if using 3/4 under the cap. Don't extend the cap past the base.

Again, my personal tastes.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

SC

05-12-08, 09:06 AM   #3  
My 70 year old house has a cove over bead classic ogee atop the S4S, with a 3/4" quarter round as the base shoe over the wood floor. This gives attractive shadow and general appearance. I think that simple base shoe over S4S would look quite plain.

The 3/4" quarter round might be too much in a house with 8 foot ceilings. For this, the base shoe may be a better choice.

All in all, satisfactory appearance is in the eye of the beholder.

05-12-08, 09:38 AM   #4  
Thanks for the replies. It's all going to be painted white. I considered speedbase and other baseboards but it just seems that basecap provides the sharpest relief/shadows.

chfite, the shoe is at the bottom, base cap will be used on the top.

I agree, quarter round seems to extend too far. Then again, I might skip the base shoe since it is going to be painted white.

05-12-08, 10:27 AM   #5  

I finally found the picture of the built-up baseboard that prompted my question. The S4S is only 5/8 thick which leaves a 1/16 overhang for the base cap. Is a small overhang OK? It seems to make the moulding more prominent. Your thoughts?

Super Moderator

AZ

05-12-08, 10:56 AM   #6  
Ohh Duh

Yes, now I understand, I thought you meant the flat base of the cap would extend out past the top of the base. If its shadow lines and reveals yer looking for, thats the way to go. I've seen almost exactly what yer talking about in several higher end custom houses back in VA.

You may have already looked at similar places, but here's this for thought. Chk pages 10-13

http://www.woodgraindistribution.com...%20Catalog.pdf

Buy some short pieces and place them in your room to see if you like the look.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-12-08, 03:16 PM   #7  
I think you will be just fine. Even speedbase protrudes on the top cap portion a little. If you cut it at an angle, the first part to touch the blade would be the cap, so you're fine.

Search this Thread