baseboards 'behind' grout

Old 05-27-08, 06:23 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
baseboards 'behind' grout

Hi, I'm replacing the carpeting in my house with wood flooring. During the job, the current 2" floorboards are being replaced with taller (3 7/8") boards. I now need to replace the remaining baseboards throughout the rest of my house, in which the flooring is all tile. It looks like the baseboards were installed prior to the tile, so the grout is joined up against the current baseboard (not below it). I'm ready to take on the baseboard replacement job, but didn't want to bite off a re-grouting job at the same time. My question is: Is this a common problem, and if so, is there an easy solution in either the method for removing the baseboards without disrupting the grout, or for installing the new? I'm presuming the grout will be messed up when I pull off the board, and if so, then I think I should first re-grout, then put on the new baseboards. But again, my hope is that I can avoid re-grouting if possible. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or guidance.

Frank

Old 05-27-08, 07:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
Welcome to the forums Frank!

I doubt you can remove the base without damaging some of the grout but it should be limitted to the grout line between the tile and base.

You will want your new base to be at the same height as the new base over the hardwood - so it might be wise to grout first and set the tile on top of the grout. If the base needs to set lower than the tile, shoe mold might hide the missing grout.

Old 05-27-08, 08:02 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Baseboards "behind grout

Thank you, Mark, for such a prompt response. Yes, I was planning on them being the same hight, but didn't take into consideration that by positioning on top of the grout would raise them a bit. I will need to be careful that they are the same hight as the boards on top of the wood floor. I have a container of the original grout, but the color is very light (peach, I believe), and the current color on the floor, after 14 years, is now very dark. It's not going to be pretty adding that other channel of new grout between the last tile and the wall, so I'll check into the shoe mold to see if that will cover it up. Thanks again for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: