Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Bowed Ceiling, Any Tips or Tricks for Crown Moulding?

Old 05-30-08, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've searched and searched for a trick or tip to address installing crown moulding on a bowed ceiling. The length of that side of the ceiling is 18 ft and it bows down half an inch around the middle.

I was planning on installing a 4 piece crown moulding. (2 baseboard supporting a 3 5/8 inch crown plus a basecap "railing" 3 inches below that. What should I do?

The roof is on trusses so my first thought was to push the ceiling up to see if there was any give. There wasn't any

Should I let my crown follow the bow? Cheat it a bit? (i.e. each piece 1/8 off an inch off to finally be level again with the basecap?) I'm kind of lost, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-08, 04:19 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Painted or Stained Crown?

If painted, you have some additional options. For this one wall, try using crown of a different substrate. MDF has a little more flex in it than wood crown and if you can find it, PVC crown probably has even more.

If the bow is gradual, you can probably get your crown to bend. If you have one joist that is off, you can shave the top edge of the crown to conform to the profile of the ceiling.

Old 05-30-08, 05:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with Czizzi on using the MDF. Just curious of the double stacking of the base below the crown. Is this a very large room? If so, you may get away with it, but if it isn't then you risk making the room looking smaller. Have you considered one piece of 7" speedbase, inverted, then the crown? Just an opinion and suggestion.

Old 05-30-08, 10:29 AM
Sorry, I should have added details. All painted and the three piece part is all MDF and consists of 3 1/4 colonial baseboard x2 and 3 5/8 crown similar to the below picture.

The base cap is about 3 inches below this, inverted. The drywall area between the three piece and the base cap will be painted the same color as the mouldings to make it look like one big piece.

This side of ceiling is 18 ft long. I just don't know how visible a half inch bow will be. Right now the wall and ceiling are the same color which conceals the bowing. I'm worried that by adding crown the bow will be revealed.

If it was just a one or two piece crown I wouldn't worry so much but the baseboard piece on top is the issue with a bowed ceiling.

Thanks again.

P.S. Maybe I should shave the top baseboard down BEHIND the outer edge, i.e. a shallow bevel. The crown will mount the top baseboard an inch in or so, I think I have room to play with (and maybe gain back some of the half inch bow so I can keep the lower 2/3 pieces of moulding level). If this will work what do think is a good method of going about this?

Old 05-30-08, 06:52 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You may have to lose the top piece of base. That is the piece that is going to show the bow. As long as your wall base piece is level, you can fake the crown by shaving along the front edge against the ceiling and sealing wth caulk. It will be barely visible. The base wall molding will be the focal point and trick the eye into not noticing the bow.

Old 06-09-08, 09:12 AM
I seem to recall that the pros pressure steam wood they need to bend without breaking.

Old 06-09-08, 03:08 PM
We do, but pine doesn't seem to want to cooperate too much. I have bent maple, cherry, etc with good success and alot of time, but the moldings nowadays just won't take the stress of side bending. And if it is finger jointed, all bets are off. That is not to say with alot of time you can't do it with solid pine or fir, I am sure you can.

Old 06-30-08, 05:26 PM
Scribe your moulding into the ceiling as you would scribe a counter-top into a wall.

Good luck,

Last edited by GregH; 04-21-09 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Remove name
Old 07-02-08, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by TheMintMan View Post
Scribe your moulding into the ceiling as you would scribe a counter-top into a wall.

Good luck,
I think my solution was much better than scribing. (Scribing half an inch off is the entire width of the top baseboard.)

By shaving the inner side of the top baseboard off I got the room needed for the crown piece to fit in apparently straight. From the viewpoint of people below the outer edge of the top baseboard looks normal.

It wasn't easy to do of course. I ran a portion of top baseboard through my table saw with the blade slightly angled which was dangerous and tricky. Then I made some shims to back up parts of the baseboard where it was "overshaved".

I'll have to take a picture sometime.

Last edited by GregH; 04-21-09 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Remove name
Old 07-03-08, 07:22 PM
OK, it's been 24 hours, let's see the results!

Old 07-07-08, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
OK, it's been 24 hours, let's see the results!
Hehe, I'm working on it!