painted/stained trim

Old 07-11-08, 09:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
painted/stained trim

In the home we just purchased, my wife and I are wanting to replace all of the simple dark trim and molding and the hollow core doors, with raised panel doors and nicer wood trim. Our neighbors did the same thing using oak and stained it and it looks really nice. I want to include crown molding in most of the house, but am not confident enough in my crown skills to attempt it without being able to caulk the corners and paint them.

I installed crown in a couple of rooms in our old house, but all of the trim in that house was painted white already (new house), so I was able to conceal my lack of coping skills easily. I got better at using the coping saw the more I did, but I don't think I'm ready to do it and not be able to paint it.

Problem is, we really like the stained trim and doors, but also really want to put crown molding up. My wife suggested stained doors and door trim and base trim, with painted (likely white) crown molding. I can't picture how that would look. It may look too strange, and then it's too late. Anybody done it this way? Any pictures? I suppose I could always do mitered corners instead of coped. I'd have to check the corners and see how off-square they are. They were terrible in our newly constructed other house.

Thanks for any comments.

ps. I also thought about all the trim painted, but the doors all stained.

Old 07-11-08, 12:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 851 Upvotes on 747 Posts
I've seen a few homes with mismatched painted/stained woodwork but IMO having all paint or all stain looks better. I have painted houses that had painted woodwork with stained doors - it looks ok.

They also make "blocks" that take the place of mitered corners, both inside and out. I've stained and finished them before but have never installed any. One of our carpenters will [hopefully] be along later with more info about them.

Old 07-11-08, 01:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Personally, I don't like the corner blocks. To me they look like exactly what they are, something you use when you don't want to mess with mitered or coped corners. But that's just me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: