Oak Trim

Old 07-21-08, 02:32 PM
Question Oak Trim

Our house is over 20 years old. My husband stained all the trim and doors a golden oak (and polyurethaned) after the house was built. After three children and two dogs, the trim is chipped in many areas which I would like to correct. What should I clean the wood with before restaining? Do I have to lightly sand the areas before aplpying the stain? Should I reapply polyurethane as well? If so, only in the areas I've repaired?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 04:11 PM
Deoending on the depth of the nicks you should gauge the grit of the sandpaper. Of course the finer the sandpaper the less wood it takes off so you should start with a fine grit sandpaper (180 or 220) and if that doesn't do it you should try a courser one. Once you get down to wood (all the polyurethane should be removed) you may then re-stain and re-polyurethane.

Old 07-21-08, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First wipe them down with something like Murphy's oil to get rid of the grime. You may be surprised with how it looks afterwards. Then do as ppspens said, lightly sand, then take a look at it, or completely sand, restain and repolyurethane. I dislike painted trim unless it is a last resort, but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-21-08, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mineral spirits does a decent job of cleaning up the wood. Depending on the damage, it might be better to use colored putty to repair the nicks and then sand light with 220 and apply a fresh coat of poly.

Wiping stain over the damaged areas sometimes works but often these areas will stain darker. . . If you intend to sand out the damage and restain, most likely you will need to sand it down to fresh wood.