Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

paneling over concrete block walls

07-25-08, 08:23 AM   #1  
paneling over concrete block walls

Fifty years ago most of the homes built on the river where I live consisted of concrete block including the interior walls. Since my home is quite small, I hate to put in 2x4 studs to cover the walls with drywall so I am considering paneling over the interior walls with just thin furring strips or adhesive and going with 2x2 studs on the exterior walls. This still means adjusting all windows and doors which will be a major pain. Any suggestions?
Margaret

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-25-08, 03:20 PM   #2  
I've lived in a few rental houses in fla that were constructed that way. All the new block homes that I worked on had drywall attached to 1x2 pt furring strips on the inside of the exterior walls. They insulated between the furring strips and used a vapor barrier over it all but I don't know how effective the insulation was.

Not all paneling can be installed by itself. Most of the cheaper panels require a drywall or similiar backer to keep them from warping, so if you use paneling - make sure it will work first.

I don't know any way out of reframing and hanging the doors with a wider jamb. The windows shouldn't need any extra work other than covering the returns and sill.

The homes like yours that I'm familiar with, had the interior walls stucco'ed so the block would resemble plaster - only harder.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread