Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MDF vs wood wainscot panel

MT

08-03-08, 06:54 PM   #1  
MDF vs wood wainscot panel

I'm considering beadboard panels in my bath room for wainscoting. Wall is next to (2" from) tub, no shower. Panels will go over plaster. What material would be best to use?

Sponsored Links

SC

08-03-08, 09:57 PM   #2  
I would use plywood panels. Easier to flex to fit any irregularities in the wall, lighter weight, will go up with nails.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-04-08, 04:27 AM   #3  
It wouldn't hurt to prime [or poly] the edge and backside of the panels closest to the tub.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MT

08-04-08, 09:12 AM   #4  
OK, thanks for your advice, chfite and marksr. I wouldn't have thought of priming the edge and back--good idea!

Super Moderator

AZ

08-04-08, 09:21 AM   #5  
Pretty sure they also have PVC wainscot now. Pre-finished white but still paintable if you want. No water issues with it.
Used to be available at the Box stores, but haven't looked in that area in a while.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MO

08-24-08, 04:17 AM   #6  
I just gutted and remodeled my bath at the end of last year and used Plastpro vinyl wainscot planking found at home depot for the lower four feet of the walls and have no complaints with it =).

Btw if you plan to paint it like I did you will want to give it two coats of a quality primer and two coats of a good paint and I suggest using a brush over a roller.

Search this Thread