Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Beadboard - light switches are half on / half off paneling

08-09-08, 12:38 PM   #1  
Beadboard - light switches are half on / half off paneling

We are attempting to fix up our bathroom, adding beadboard to the bottom half of the walls, and repainting the top. The problem we are trying to decide how to fix is that we have two sets of light switches that fall on the paneling / plain wall border.

My suggestion is to cut out the paneling to fit the light switch plates, which would then be slightly recessed to the wall level. My husband's suggestion is to raise the beadboard height to go around the switch plates, then drop back down to the height for the rest of the room.

I guess a third option would be to just bring the beadboard height down a few inches and go under the light switches, but we'd prefer not to. The wall fixtures (towel bars especially) that we have removed are the heavy ceramic type that were cut into the drywall. My husband has patched those holes, but you can still tell they are patched, and with the height we've chosen, they would be covered by the beadboard and trim.

Does anyone have any advice - or even better, finished pictures! - that we could use?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-09-08, 03:49 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Ideally either the switches or the wainscotting would be lowered/raised so it wouldn't be an issue. I agree that all the wainscotting should be at the same height. Would it be feasable to better finish the repairs?

You could make a frame for the top half of the switch to make it even with the beadboard [or trim at the top of the beadboard] and reinstall the switch using a box extender.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread