Type of wood for trim?

Old 08-19-08, 08:33 AM
Type of wood for trim?

Hi, we just replaced all our windows with vinyl and now we need to put on some trim. The old stuff was painted with about 20 layers of paint from at least 50 years ago! I was curious what type of wood would be the best to use for this project? Our floors are fir and I sealed them with a clear wax so they are light colored. Also, I was thinking of using the same wax for the trim (Osmo Polyx hardwax oil). Would this be a good idea? Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-08, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am assuming you don't want to paint the trim. You will need to use a sanding sealer and possibly a light stain to get away from the bare wood look, then final coats of latex based polyurethane. Have you picked out a profile of molding to use? Not to confuse you, but there are many profiles to choose from. Go to a site such as http://whitebrothersmill.com/ecommer...x.php?cPath=23 to see the various types available. Most are available at a local lumber yard or big box store. Be sure to get stain grade (a little more expensive).

Old 08-19-08, 04:50 PM
It's going to be a very simple trim, nothing fancy. If anyone could help with type of wood, that would be great. As I said, my fir floors just have a wax, no stain, so I am partial to the natural "bare" wood look. Just want to know a good type of wood that will look good with fir. With the wax, my floors have kind of a light reddish glow. Thanks.

Old 08-19-08, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Since your profile shows you're in the Pacific NW, you should have a nice variety of soft woods to choose from. Your first choice should probably be hemlock, if it's still available out there. We can hardly get it where I'm at. 2nd choice, Douglas fir, which is beautiful wood. You might even be able to specify quartersawn (tight side-grain) or plainsawn (wild face grain) if you are picky about not wanting a mix of the two. You'd want #1 clear grade if you want to stain/wax the finish. Personally, I avoid white pine at all costs. It's too blotchy for my taste, and the finish from one piece to another is a little too unpredictable.

Search this Thread