Stair trim and railing advice

Old 09-05-08, 08:19 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stair trim and railing advice

I have staircase I need to finish and I'm looking for ideas. Here is a picture:

Two things: the stairs are as narrow (36") and they are very open (only one wall). Also there is only 1.5" of space between the inside stringers of the upper and lower flights.

I am going to carpet them so I want to put a skirt board on the open sides of the stringers.

So the problem is how to fit railings and balusters and skirt boards all in the narrow space between the two flights.

I am thinking of using post to post railings (a hand rail and a shoe rail). 1) If I put the railings outside of the treads, the bottom set is going to have to dead-end into the underside of the top flight of stairs. 2) If I wanted a continuous railing on the bottom all the way to the platform, I would have to position the railings over the treads enough so that the upper and lower railings could cross each other. That would take away some space from the stairway which is already narrow.

Any ideas/opinions? Also, all of the railings I want to be appearance grade pine, which makes it a little harder to find materials.

Old 09-05-08, 08:22 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: