refinishing baseboard ?

Old 09-04-08, 06:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
refinishing baseboard ?

the stain on my baseboard looks like it was not wiped off, and just left to dry = pretty much looks like paint. i am wondering how hard it would be to sand off the stain (i don't think it need to remove it all, just enough to get the wood grain to show) and restain ? i am thinking to use steel wool. that ok ? and a poly stain. i'm not looking to make it look perfect, just better than what it does. and it would be about the same color it is now.

tia

Old 09-05-08, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If it is pine, it doesn't grab stain equally along its length. But, you may be able to achieve a good look if you just lightly sand it with a sanding sponge, and rather than restaining it, apply polyurethane directly over it. The poly will enhance the staining, and you already said it was too dark. You can try a small area to be sure it is the finish you want. Our paint guys will be here in a minute. They may have more interesting ways to do this than I.

Old 09-05-08, 02:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Is there any poly/varnish currently on the base?

Old 09-06-08, 06:44 AM
C
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Is there any poly/varnish currently on the base?
i don't think so, and it doesn't look like it, its not much shinny.
but i am somewhat ignorant on this. let me go take a pic. brb

Old 09-06-08, 06:52 AM
C
here ya go. that is pretty much how it looks (good pic)
i think its pine, but don't "know"

Old 09-06-08, 06:59 AM
C
this here is in my front bath. it looks better in person, but you get the idea.

Old 09-06-08, 05:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Some wood just doesn't have a prominent grain. I don't think sanding off any of the stain will make a lot of difference. If the color is ok, I'd just add a coat or two of poly.

It does appear to have some poly/varnish over the stain but it's a little hard to tell.

Old 09-07-08, 07:30 AM
C
ok. i sanded it with some heavy steel wool. the stuff is pretty hard = i would be sanding for ever. so sanding is out. i'm going to check into new boards.

new issues :

the old floor was vinyl. the new floor is floating engineered. so its higher. now the baseboard is higher where it meets up with the living room boards, 1/2" or so. i need a solution. i wa sthinking of trimming the boards. but i don't know if that would look right, thinking not. i am thinking of cutting the boards square where they meet, and just putting a square block at this corner. you could see the hieght difference, but oh-well. watcha think ?

what color do you think that stain is ? pecan ? i was thinking a little color change would be nice, as i am not crazy about that color. though if it was done right it would probably look good. what color would look good ? and should it be gloss, semi, flat, what ? i'll go get a pic

Old 09-07-08, 07:45 AM
C
well, this pic is not accurate. the floor is RED OAK NATURAL (so the box says), its much lighter than the pic color. not the honey oak it looks in this pic. and the cabinets are more of a walnut. how about a light walnut ?

Old 09-07-08, 06:24 PM
C
ok. that baseboard is goin in the garbage. i bought a "pro-pack" of oak. and i am staining it with minwax antique walnut poly stain. i only stained and installed 1 small board. but it looks like this new oak is going to put some BAM in my kitchen/dining room.
and with the extra wood, i'm going to do keep going into the other rooms.

Old 09-08-08, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"now the baseboard is higher where it meets up with the living room boards, 1/2" or so. i need a solution"

Normally the bottom edge of the base is ripped off so it will match the height of the other base. If the room is seperated from the next rm with a door casing, then there is no need to rip the base as the height difference isn't noticable.

Old 09-08-08, 07:22 PM
C
it is connected to the living room, no casing. doesn't matter now, as with the extra BB i have, i'm going to do the living room also. so i can make it match up.

thanx.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: