Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page > Type of sandpaper to use on overly painted trim

Type of sandpaper to use on overly painted trim

Old 09-10-08, 09:11 AM
Type of sandpaper to use on overly painted trim

Hi Everyone,
The house is OLD.. like 100+ years. and there's probably that many coats of paint on the trimwork, which is beautiful and way to expensive to replace. anywho.. in the more often used entry/doorways the paint has chipped and looks as though painted right over and not sanded down to make it presentable.. now i'm left with that task..
what is the best type/grit etc of paper to use to achieve this? i will not use paint stripper as there is just way too much trim and also i don't have a power sander so i'll have to do this by hand unfortunately.
i'm aware of the lead danger involved so i have my safety goggles and masks ready to go.

thanks for your help!

T

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-08, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally the coarser the paper the more it will remove. You would probably want to start with 80 grit. As you know it's not wise to sand lead based paint! Be sure to capture any/all sanding dust as any left behind can cause problems later!

Stripping the wood is best but it is time consuming. Would it be feasable to fill the chips in with spackling, sand smooth, prime and paint? Not the best fix but it is safer.

Old 09-11-08, 09:59 AM
hmmm.. ya know? i never thought of that! lol
what type of material would i use to fill it in? it has to adhere to paint .

thanks for the reply!

T

Old 09-11-08, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spackling like you use for minor wall repairs will adhere decent to the underlying enamel. The primer and new coat of enamel will also help to keep it locked inplace.

The "patched" areas won't be quite as strong as the unpatched wood but generally if those areas are abused enough to look bad - you need repainting or touch up anyway

Old 10-06-08, 09:55 PM
same trim project

I am about to tackle the exact same trim project in a 100 year old home. I never even thought about the underlying paint layers being lead-based! In some places the paint chips have flaked-off down to the wood, if I use putty on these spots will it be difficult to remove from the wood in the future?

I had considered stripping all the paint layers, because I know there is beautiful redwood underneath, but it is a rental home and everyone I know keeps telling me that stripping would be WAY too much work for a home I don't own. However, I don't want to do a quick fix that is not reversible in the future.

Old 10-07-08, 03:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spackling used on the 'low' spots shouldn't be any harder to strip [later] than the paint.

Search this Thread