Pass the joint compound

Old 09-11-08, 06:34 AM
Pass the joint compound

We have a 1950's house with (real) wood paneling planks in the office. We think that the room actually used to be an exterior breezeway that was closed in. There are cracks & chunks in the walls that we want to fill in before painting. Would joint compound work for filling in the cracks or should we use wood filler? If filler is the right answer, any recommendations on what kind?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What are you trying for in the finished look of the room?

Most any drywall filler will crack sooner or later. Wood filler might do better but it's still iffy. Caulking should stay in place well but it won't level out the surface.

Old 09-15-08, 09:56 AM
The finished look...Good question. Well, I just wanted the planks to look smooth in the places where the age of the room has provided TOO much character.

I (nearly) finsished the project at 6am. I ended up prepping the walls by smoothing over the minor cracks with j/c after sanding. The larger ones I used wood filler for.

I guess it's okay if it cracks over time, because it was cracked to begin with. But basically, I was looking for something that would just cover the minor blemishes for painting.

Old 09-15-08, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just throwing mine into the mix....Use Minwax two part wood filler. I is an epoxy type wood filler that resembles Bondo. Smells like it, works like it, and finishes like it, so it may just have a different can.
Take out the amount you will need in 15 minutes, apply the activator (not too much), work it in and trowel it in the holes, smoothing it somewhat. No need to try to get it smooth at first. Let it dry, and either wood rasp or sand it smooth. It may take a second application to get it really smooth.

Larry

Half of communications is listening and you can't listen with your mouth.