How long to acclimate wood?

Old 10-10-08, 04:54 AM
How long to acclimate wood?

How long do I need to acclimate my 3 58" wood crown molding? Can I paint it while it is acclimating? Will this add time to the acclimating?

Thanks,
Judy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-08, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
If the temperature outside is basically the same as inside, you probably don't have to worry about acclimating the trim. I know a lot of painters want to have the wood indoors at room temperature for at least 24 hours before finishing it. That's temperature. Humidity is a different thing altogether, and depends on the moisture content of the wood itself, which can only be measured accurately with a moisture meter. The amount of time it takes the wood to stabilize at its indoor humidity will depend on the current moisture content of the trim and the humidity in the home. But again, trim that has been stored indoors at room temperature is probably fairly stable to begin with, provided it didn't get rained on or provided you don't live in a tropical rain forest.

For painted wood, you will be caulking the seams and edges, and should be able to paint without any problems this time of year. If it was winter, and the trim was coming in from the cold, or was being installed in a cold house that didn't have the heat hooked up yet, that might be a different story.

Old 10-14-08, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your help. I installed 160 feet of crown molding with 16 corners (living room, dining room, hall, and kitchen). It looks pretty good. I still have to caulk and fill the nail holes. Do you use caulk, painter's putty, or something else to fill your nail holes? Is there some neat trick you can give me?

Thanks,
Judy

Old 10-14-08, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
I have been using DAP DryDex spackle for a while now on anything that's going to be painted. You fill the nail hole, smooth it out, then once it's dry lightly sand with 180 grit sandpaper or a fine sanding sponge.

Old 10-15-08, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer to use painter's putty. The holes should be filled after priming but if you use spackle - the spackling would need primer too.

Caulking should only be used on the joints. If you were to use caulk on the nail holes, the caulking would shrink, making the nails visible after painting

Old 10-15-08, 08:36 AM
Thanks so much for your help. I have some painter's putty and I will get some DryDex spackle. I will try them both and see what works best for me.