Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

What comes first: carpet or baseboard molding?

Old 11-10-08, 08:41 AM

Quick question. I am finishing off my basement and have come to the point where I need to know if I install the base molding first or have the carpet installed and then do the molding?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-08, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually the base is installed and painted prior to the carpet installation. Generally the base is installed 1/2" above the floor to allow the carpet to be tucked under it. It pays to know what thickness the carpet and pad will be since some carpets may need the base a tad lower.

That said, there is nothing wrong with installing the base after carpet - just be sure to prime and enamel it before installation - you will still need to apply another coat of enamel to cover the caulking and putty.

Old 11-10-08, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
As mark said.

I've found its easier to get the base installed good and level by doing it first, using strips of plywood as spacers from the floor. Cause we all know how nice and straight baseboard in 12-14 ft pieces is, right? Unless its MDF, and even then it can flex and bow.

Old 11-11-08, 07:02 AM
What about the carpet tack strip?

I like the idea of using the strips of plywood as spacers. But, the question I have is if I do this, how do the carpet guys install the tack strip?

Old 11-11-08, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Tack strips don't go that close to the wall. They normally are installed about 1/2" back.

Also, I may not have been clear. Just use little 1" wide strips of scrap ply in the correct thickness, then pull them out after the base is up.

Old 11-11-08, 10:46 PM
You can also use pieces of the baseboard as spacers. By installing baseboard first, you can apply final finish coat or paint without worrying about getting it on the carpet. You may have to do some touch up of baseboards following carpet installation. Make sure you purchase carpet from a reputable dealer with experienced installers.