Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wainscoting/Beadboard separating

MA

11-29-08, 03:43 PM   #1  
Wainscoting/Beadboard separating

I painted our (wood) wainscoting this past spring, and filled gaps with DAP Alex Ultra II caulking. With the cold/dry weather setting in, some of the beadboard is now separating and the caulking did not stretch/move with the wood. See attached pics.

Here's a close up of a different section.

So it's starting to look a little awful. I do not know how the beadboard is constructed or adhered to the wall (relatively new to the house in general).

Does anyone have suggestions for making this look better? Did I use the right caulking? Should I recaulk with a more appropriate material?

Thanks for any tips.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-29-08, 04:58 PM   #2  
It appears to be regular bead board and not the paneling type made to look like bead board. The problem with that type installed vertically on a wall is there isn't always sufficent nailing points to secure it. They may have used adhesive where there was nothing to nail to or it might be they just nailed it to the drywall/plaster - which doesn't have much holding power.

I don't know if there is much you can do to secure it better without removing it. You can use a better grade of caulk. IMO dap alex is one of then poorer caulks available. I prefer the 'white lightning' brand. All your better latex caulks will be a 'siliconized acrylic latex' which is paintable. A lot of caulks will have a # of yrs "warranty" The warranties aren't much good but it is a good indicator as to how good a caulk it is. 40yr caulk is better than 25yr.

Probably the best defense for controlling wood shrinkage/expanding is keeping the humidity levels the same. If you use our HVAC yr round, it will control the humidity. The nice fresh air from outside is what messes with humidity level changes.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread