Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting Picture Paneling

12-09-08, 02:14 PM   #1  

We have a living room with wood picture paneling on all 4 walls...We are putting in Wood flooring, and have several brown Leather Couches in the room...We have decided to paint the Paneling a lighter color, and to paint the ceiling. It is a Cathedral Ceiling... Suggestions needed for the following...

How to best prep the walls...Clean with TSP?, Sand?, Use a Liquid Sand ?

What kind of primer to use? Oil based? or what....

Best type of Paint for top coat?

Best Sequence to paint ...Ceiling first? then walls, or walls then ceiling then trim? We will do the painting first, and then have the wood floor put in....

This is one big job, but i have a paint sprayer and plan to spray the ceiling and the walls ...

We are also going to paint our ceiling and walls of the office and Dining room, before doing the Living room.

I want the best job i can possibly do....

I would appreciate any suggestions for a truly professional job, I have the time and willing to put in the effort....

Denny

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-10-08, 02:40 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums Denny!

I'm not sure if I know what 'picture paneling' is but assume it should be painted in the same way as any other type of prefinished paneling. First you need to make sure it's clean, especially if it has any wax/polish on it. I wouldn't use TSP - only because it must be rinsed well. Liquid deglossers like liquid sand do a good job but care must be use to fold or change rag as need to prevent just moving any contamiments around instead of removing them. It's also pretty potent, so fresh air circulation is important!

A scuff sand is always a good idea. Use a solvent based primer [oil or shellac]. If the other rooms already have painted walls, you can probably skip the primer on them. As always, you find better coatings [advice too] at your local paint store - not big box dept. The top coat should be latex - most any sheen or type, your choice
When it comes to the finish paint, you always start at the top and work your way down.

I seldom spray in an occupied dwelling because of all the extra prep and clean up. Overspray can travel a long way and work itself into other rooms

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

12-10-08, 05:36 AM   #3  

Marksr,
Picture Paneling is sorta like Regular paneling, except it does not have vertical groves..it is all wood covered with trim which looks like large pictures...it is trimmed everywhere...in large squares around the room...It is very good looking, but for us now after 25 years too dark in the room.....some of the wood is defferent levels...not sure what else to call it...

Here is what i had thought might be a plan...would love your comments...

1. remove all furniture/fixtures i can...I will be removing some tile areas as well as carpet...as we plan to put down Engineered flooring after painting....

2. clean/ wash/dust the panneling...
3. Was going to use either:
a. TSP..(Bought some granuals in small bottle)
b. Liquid Deglosser....Not sure of this
c. sandpaper and vibrating sander...and fill some nicks and holes. in the walls from 25 years of wear...
With your comments i am leaning toward vibrating sander ...

4. taping off all walls, using plastic and covering everything else. and painting the "PopCorn" seiling.. One spray coat only as i already used a spray gun on another empty room and it worked pretty well....got some on the walls but i painted them second with roller and brush... I chose spraying as i already used a roller on popcorn inother rooms and had one terrible mess....half of it came down...

5. building plastic entry ways to the room covering the fireplace, doors, floor, windows etc and leaving the walls to sand and paint...

6. after filling and sanding so it is clean and the sheen is off the wood.
Using my Titan 540ix Paint sprayer...(had to buy it..tool fanatic)

a. prime two coats of either...BM Fresh start, or SW Anchor Bond, or Zinssers BIN ...some Stain hiding primer..Kilz maby......am thinking oil based primer...???

b. Paint...probably SW paint..not sure what kind tho...want it gloss or semi gloss and latex.....

I assume latex will go well over a oil based primer...

plan to have the primer tinted similar to the final color which will be a light cream or off white...to brighten the room...

also plan two coats of paint...

I plan to spray after i seal all rooms...as tight as possible...i know it will get all over...but think it will give the best possible gloss to the walls and not leave brush marks...

this is too long...i shall stop here...

any comments and suggestions are extremly welcome..

Denny....hope i put this in the right place....

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-10-08, 12:45 PM   #4  
I've not used the 540 but have used the old 440 - great small pump! I own 2 titan 660s

Popcorn is always better sprayed than rolled. When the texture starts to detriate, the moisture in the paint tries to disolve it and then the pressure of the roller finishesn it off
IMO popcorn texture is best when left in the bag.... or scraped off.

It would be best to prep and prime your walls before painting the ceiling. That way there won't be any adhesion issues with the ceiling paint getting on the paneling. Most interior oil base primers will do a decent job. Kilz is ok but only the oil base formula. A pigmented shellac like zinnser's BIN is the ultimate primer but also the stinkiest. I don't know how much spraying experience you have but the bottom corners of the picture frames can be prone to runs - multiple light coats work better than 1 heavy coat of paint........ but if you get a run, wipe it out with brush, it probably won't show when dry. You will want to use a smaller tip on the walls than what you would use on the ceiling. I'd use a 5/17 on the ceiling and 4/15 or 4/13 on the walls, you might could even use a small 4/11 if you are concerned about too much paint for your experience level.

Most any latex can be applied over dry oil base primer. I mostly use SWP [because their stores are convenient] If on a budget their promar 200 line is decent paint, super paint is even better and their are also low VOC coatings available. They should be able to help you choose the right coating for both your job and budget - as should any real paint store.

12-11-08, 05:38 PM   #5  
Spray Painting Experience level ...I painted One Ceiling with the sprayer....is that like little or none? Do I get credit for using spray cans of Auto Paint on my car when i was a teen??

This 540ix is a great little machine.

However i only used it for the popcorn ceiling in a bedroom....I used SW SuperPaint Latex Extra White....I got carried away in a few places letting it get over painted. But it looks great. ..I agree, with popcorn in bag or off..but not able to pay some one to scrape it all off and re do the ceiling..so i am painting it...

I will use the same paint on the catherdrel ceiling in the living room with the paneling.

I like your idea of preping and priming the walls before painting the ceiling, then do a final coat or two on the walls.
I think my biggest problem is making sure i don't spray the ceiling when i put the final coats on the walls. Since i won't be able to mask the ceiling, I do have a couple of wide 20 inch or so metal shields that i can hold along the edge while i spray the wall.

I plan to use a oil based primer, as i have heard some not so good comments about Shellac primers, being difficult to use.
I did use a 517 tip on the ceiling i painted...I am thinking a much smaller tip for the panel walls, as the trim and corners i want to get right....

We will probably use a Enamel or semi-gloss on the walls as there will be a higher traffic area and i think flat will show a lot of dirt and marks....

Thanks a lot for your suggestions...I will be painting our dining room and office before tackling the living room...all are textured walls and popcorn ceiling. I know people don't like popcorn now, but the problems and difficulty of getting it all off and making it look decent is a bit much for us.

thanks

Denny

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-12-08, 04:02 AM   #6  
It might help you if you cut in the top of the wall and let it dry before you spray and use a shield. That way you won't have to be so precise. Shields work but you wouldn't believe how heavy they get - specially if spraying an entire house. Make sure you clean the shield often so you don't transfer any wall paint to the ceiling.

Search this Thread