Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

what should I do about my baseboard molding that is 3/4" thick ???

Old 12-11-08, 11:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I put new door casing's on all my interior doors, now I am doing the baseboard trim, the problem??
The baseboard is 3/4" pine while the door casing is 5/8" thick. So when I but the baseboard against the casing, not flush.
Shall I rip the 3/4" to 5/8" or can I bevel the edges and have a smooth, nice looking job?
What do you pro's do? I assume you use baseboard that is 5/8" thick. I am trying to match it with the rest of the trim in the home, you know.

DanO

Old 12-11-08, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
The simpliest thing to do would be to install plinth [sp?] blocks at the bottom of the casing. Normally you would use lumber a little thicker than the base/casing and make it just a little wider than the casing and little taller than the base, but it might look fine with 3/4"

Old 12-11-08, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
When the baseboard is thicker than the casing, you bevel the ends of the baseboard, cutting a 45 degree angle on the ends of the baseboard so that the two meet at the corner of the casing. Yes, it would have been better to use thicker casing, or to have gotten thinner baseboard. If you're set on making what you've got work, that's what I'd suggest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: