Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to make use of excess window trim

12-17-08, 06:09 PM   #1  
How to make use of excess window trim

After installing new windows and trims around them, my contractor is left with about 100 ft. of window trims. I could buy it from him, but don't know how to make use of this excess trim, other than storing them as replacement in the future. Any other design idea?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

12-17-08, 08:13 PM   #2  
It's often nice to have the same profile of casing used throughout a home. So if your door trim does not match your window trim, maybe you could use some of it there. Otherwise your contractor will find a place to use it before you will.

If it's an unusual profile, it might be nice to keep a few pieces in the event you need to match it in the future.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-18-08, 01:33 PM   #3  
Yeah, don't shop like a woman (oops, I'll catch it for that one), buying something because it's there. In most likehoods, you will run over it with the lawnmower or break it before you ever find a use for it, not to mention moving it a hundred times. And molding changes very little, so it is readily available whenever you are in need. Unless you have an immediate need for it (within 3 months) let the contractor deal with it.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-18-08, 01:50 PM   #4  
Buy 10-20 ft, unless you have a specific need, and let him use the rest. If its stock stuff from a yard or Home Center...nevermind.

Sounds like he way over estimated what he needed.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

12-18-08, 06:03 PM   #5  
Thank you all for the suggestions. Here's how the story goes. Apparently the contractor ordered 380 ft. of the trim after taking 15% waste into account. However, since it was a special order (Douglas fir) the lumber yard could only deliver him in the units of 500 ft. I am told that one can't just walk into a store and find Douglas fir trim that easily. So, there's indeed some value to get these. As XSleeper suggested, since the door trims are different I may find some use of this around the doors. But that's a project for the spring, for now I have to find a place to store so that they don't get "run over it with the lawnmower or break.... not to mention moving it a hundred times". So true!

Search this Thread