Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Unintentional reveal where baseboard meets door molding

Old 12-30-08, 06:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm trimming out my house and there are a couple of spots where the baseboard doesn't exactly match the door molding so there is an unintentional reveal where they meet.

It's not too noticeable but the light does cast shadows to really point out the mistake.

I'm wondering if I could take an orbital sander to these areas to try to make them flow into one another a little better or if that is just opening up a whole new can of worms.

Old 12-30-08, 08:58 AM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Reveal

Where the baseboard is thicker than the door facing, the corner of the baseboard should be beveled at 45 deg. where it meets the door facing.

Old 12-30-08, 11:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
Where the baseboard is thicker than the door facing, the corner of the baseboard should be beveled at 45 deg. where it meets the door facing.
Well the wood is actually the same thickness ... the problem is that due to inconsistencies in the drywall there baseboard or molding is proud of one or the other in couple of places.

Not a big deal just wondering if it is worth sanding or caulking.

Old 12-30-08, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
If one piece sticks past another by any amount, it would get bevelled at a 45 as suggested. If the trim is already on, then yes, all you can do at this point is ease the edge with a grinder and sanding disk or sandpaper and caulk the joint before painting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: