Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement door/window trim, ceiling to low....

01-01-09, 08:08 PM   #1  
Basement door/window trim, ceiling to low....

I have a slight dilema.... I am getting a dropped ceiling installed and I noticed the door and window trim where the ceiling drops will be VERY minimal... I see for the doors, I see an inch if that where I can put trim. For my windows, it actually extends passed where the trim would be! Awwww... Can anyone tell me what my options are on how to trim to doors/windows where the ceiling ends...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-02-09, 04:26 AM   #2  
You can run the side casings straight up to the drop ceiling grid. If you need trim above the door, use a piece of 1x ripped to the right size and then run your casing straight into it - no miter cuts

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

01-02-09, 07:27 AM   #3  
Posted By: marksr You can run the side casings straight up to the drop ceiling grid. If you need trim above the door, use a piece of 1x ripped to the right size and then run your casing straight into it - no miter cuts
Marksr,

You are saying use normal trim on the sides of the door but for the top are you saying to cut it to fit? Would that look stupid?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-02-09, 02:19 PM   #4  
For the top you could use a 1x, ripped to fit and as long as the cased opening is wide. then the casing on each side would go straight up to the 1x. The 1x will probably be a little thicker than the casing [it could be planed down a little] but once it's all caulked and painted, it should look fine.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread