Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Basement door/window trim, ceiling to low....

Old 01-01-09, 08:08 PM

I have a slight dilema.... I am getting a dropped ceiling installed and I noticed the door and window trim where the ceiling drops will be VERY minimal... I see for the doors, I see an inch if that where I can put trim. For my windows, it actually extends passed where the trim would be! Awwww... Can anyone tell me what my options are on how to trim to doors/windows where the ceiling ends...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can run the side casings straight up to the drop ceiling grid. If you need trim above the door, use a piece of 1x ripped to the right size and then run your casing straight into it - no miter cuts

Old 01-02-09, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
You can run the side casings straight up to the drop ceiling grid. If you need trim above the door, use a piece of 1x ripped to the right size and then run your casing straight into it - no miter cuts
Marksr,

You are saying use normal trim on the sides of the door but for the top are you saying to cut it to fit? Would that look stupid?

Old 01-02-09, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For the top you could use a 1x, ripped to fit and as long as the cased opening is wide. then the casing on each side would go straight up to the 1x. The 1x will probably be a little thicker than the casing [it could be planed down a little] but once it's all caulked and painted, it should look fine.