Homemade "tall" baseboard

Old 01-13-09, 08:20 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Homemade "tall" baseboard

anyone ever make their own "tall" baseboard? Im talking about the higher than normal baseboard that has a somewhat flat surface on the bottom, and the top has some design to it.

An example:

I was thinking of getting a sheet of 1/4" MDF and ripping it down for the bottom part, and just buying small trim for the top decrative part. Has anyone done this with success?

The tall trim in the stores is very expensive thats why I ask.

Old 01-14-09, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have to do this all the time in older home restoration, but sometimes they reach 12" in height, so they are really a challenge. What you suggest is right on target. The MDF is good for the bottom and you can use a standard "base cap" for the top part. It is almost a standard way to do skirt boards going down staircases, etc., so you are in good company.

Old 01-14-09, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You want your base board to be a lot thicker than 1/4"

What is picture is usually a 1x [3/4"] with base cap. I doubt you could find any mouldings for the top that would accomadate less than 1/2" on the bottom. The builders [I painted for] that didn't use speedbase [similiar look] either ripped 3/4" ply or used 1x for the bottom portion.

Old 01-14-09, 04:29 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the advice. I just threw out 1/4" as I wasn't sure how thick it really was. Going to give it a try.

Old 01-14-09, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

There is actually a piece of trim made for that very purpose. Can't remember exactly what it is called but I think I saw it at Lowe's. Working on a house now that has the same problem. I will use 1x6 with the "base cap trim" on it. May not match existing trim but you could replace that room if not too large and expensive. Good luck!

Old 01-14-09, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good catch on the 1/4" Marksr. The base should be 3/4 (or 1x) in order to use the base cap. Mike, I think you are referring to Speedbase. It is usually MDF, and is a close twin to what the OP pictured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: