Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Installing baseboard molding to metal framing: Trim screws or adhesive?

Old 01-18-09, 08:44 PM

I am about to begin installing the trim to a basement finishing project. I used metal studs for all the framing and I had a question about installing the baseboard molding (which I stained and finished with polyurethane) to the metal studs.

My first thought was to use trim screws, but I thought that it might be difficult to get a nice finish (and color match) if I have to fill holes, then poly over it.

Then I though I would use construction adhesive so I have an undisturbed finish, but then I was concerned about what would happen to the drywall if I had to remove the trim for any reason in the future.

So, how much damage is caused when with the removal of trim adhered to the drywall? Is it just some of the paper that will pull off?

I'd welcome reading anyone's experiences with installing trim to metal studs.

Thanks,
Guy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I usually lay in a pt 2x along the bottom of the framing just for that purpose, but since you have your drywall up......you may want to use a combination of light gluing as well as trim screws. You will pull off the surface of the drywall, but let's not think of having to do that, because if you do, the paper surface will be the least of your worries, don't you think?

Old 01-19-09, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
...but let's not think of having to do that, because if you do, the paper surface will be the least of your worries, don't you think?
True enough LOL!! Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-19-09, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
I'd suggest you apply the adhesive sparingly... and apply penny-sized "dots" of adhesive every 16" or so, rather than a solid line of adhesive. A couple trim nails driven in opposite directions (like an X) will usually hold the trim in place until the glue sets up. Sometimes I've had to use a cement block and wood shims to hold a stubborn piece of baseboard back- seems like there's always someplace where it won't stay tight enough.

Old 01-19-09, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
...A couple trim nails driven in opposite directions (like an X) will usually hold the trim in place until the glue sets up...
X,

Thanks. Are you saying that I could use trim nails (versus screws) if I drive them at an angle, versus perpendicular to the trim (and wall)?

Guy

Old 01-19-09, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe. What I'm saying is that when you nail 2 nails at an angle (one angled left and one angled right), into the same framing member, it will sometimes pin the material to the wall... in your case, maybe just enough to hold the baseboard into the adhesive. It depends on how much tension there is. If the baseboard wants to spring away because of a bow in the wall, it might not hold.

But then you have 2 nail holes to fill instead of one trim screw hole.