Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Can gloss painted walls replace baseboards?!

Old 02-22-09, 01:32 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a renovated home and the architect decided not to place baseboads but to paint the bottom ten centimetres of the wall with a gloss paint (rest is matt). The floor is made out of oak and the gap has simply been filled with silicon in the same colour as the wood. As I start to paint the walls a different colour I wonder whether I need to ensure that the bottom ten centimtres are in the same colour but in gloss or if I should consider installing baseboards in the house?.
The architect said that the gloss paint border replaces baseboards as its more resistent than the matt paint in the walls...

Old 02-22-09, 01:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Personally I'd install base boards. It's true that enamel paint will withstand more abuse/wear than flat paint but a wooden baseboard is stronger than drywall or plaster.

Enamel paint will help to protect the color but a wooden base will help to protect the wall!

Old 02-22-09, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
well, architects and designers always have wonderful design ideas that don't work in the real world.

Old 02-23-09, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
Gloss paint certainly cleans up better that matte paint... but I don't think it is any match for years of abuse from mops, vacuum cleaners or the kids' radio controlled cars.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: