Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Can gloss painted walls replace baseboards?!

Old 02-22-09, 01:32 PM

I recently purchased a renovated home and the architect decided not to place baseboads but to paint the bottom ten centimetres of the wall with a gloss paint (rest is matt). The floor is made out of oak and the gap has simply been filled with silicon in the same colour as the wood. As I start to paint the walls a different colour I wonder whether I need to ensure that the bottom ten centimtres are in the same colour but in gloss or if I should consider installing baseboards in the house?.
The architect said that the gloss paint border replaces baseboards as its more resistent than the matt paint in the walls...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I'd install base boards. It's true that enamel paint will withstand more abuse/wear than flat paint but a wooden baseboard is stronger than drywall or plaster.

Enamel paint will help to protect the color but a wooden base will help to protect the wall!

Old 02-22-09, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
well, architects and designers always have wonderful design ideas that don't work in the real world.

Old 02-23-09, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Gloss paint certainly cleans up better that matte paint... but I don't think it is any match for years of abuse from mops, vacuum cleaners or the kids' radio controlled cars.