Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can gloss painted walls replace baseboards?!

CANADA

02-22-09, 01:32 PM   #1  
Can gloss painted walls replace baseboards?!

I recently purchased a renovated home and the architect decided not to place baseboads but to paint the bottom ten centimetres of the wall with a gloss paint (rest is matt). The floor is made out of oak and the gap has simply been filled with silicon in the same colour as the wood. As I start to paint the walls a different colour I wonder whether I need to ensure that the bottom ten centimtres are in the same colour but in gloss or if I should consider installing baseboards in the house?.
The architect said that the gloss paint border replaces baseboards as its more resistent than the matt paint in the walls...

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-22-09, 01:36 PM   #2  
Personally I'd install base boards. It's true that enamel paint will withstand more abuse/wear than flat paint but a wooden baseboard is stronger than drywall or plaster.

Enamel paint will help to protect the color but a wooden base will help to protect the wall!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

02-22-09, 01:44 PM   #3  
well, architects and designers always have wonderful design ideas that don't work in the real world.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NE

02-23-09, 07:30 PM   #4  
Gloss paint certainly cleans up better that matte paint... but I don't think it is any match for years of abuse from mops, vacuum cleaners or the kids' radio controlled cars.

Search this Thread