Can you paint paneling?

Old 02-25-09, 06:19 AM
Can you paint paneling?

Does anyone know if you can paint paneling? I don't like the wood look, it's way too dark and I don't think removing it is an option. Please Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-09, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

After making sure the paneling is clean, coat it with a solvent based primer. It can then be painted with your choice of latex paint. It usually requires 1 coat primer and 2 coats finish to completely cover.

Old 03-17-09, 08:52 PM
You didn't say if it's real wood paneling or the fake wood paneling. The fake wood paneling looks better painted than the real wood. The fake wood stuff is smooth with no real woodgrain, and if properly treated and primed, the paneling can be painted over. I would suggest using this primer called "Gripper" because it sticks better. You will still have all the paneling lines, but other than that it looks okay. In my house we have real wood paneling. The previous owners painted over some of it and the wood planks are uneven because of woodgrain and it looks awful. I am planning on using textured paint over that area eventually to try to even it out some and giving it a "knockdown" texture, and following that with a multi-colored glazing technique. I'm hoping I can make it look pretty good.