Crown moulding problem

Old 03-06-09, 07:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crown moulding problem

Hello,
I have a room that has three coners that are at 45/90 degrees. I had no problem joining those corners with my crown moulding. The entry to the room however, is set at a different angle. Will someone please advise me as to how I come to the proper angle/degree to make these cuts? Thank you very much.

Old 03-06-09, 10:26 AM
S
You can buy a protractor to help you determine the angle, or give you a general idea anyway, it probably won't be dead on but then you can cut some test pieces to see which one fits best.
General Tools at Lowe's: 165 Plastic Portractor

they sell the same one at canadiantire if you're in canada

Old 03-06-09, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
The problem with the tool mentioned is you can't use it directly on an outside corner on a wall, since the scale needs room. I have one, but it won't work for an outside corner. You would need to use an angle gauge then the protractor thing. You didn't say whether this is an inside or outside corner.

I was going to reference another thread..but thats for base...no compound angles..different story.

I just saw this being done for cabinets on TOH, but I can't remember the details. I know it really didn't involve measuring or any special tools, it was basically "hold some pieces up and mark them".

Give the Pro carpenters a while to respond.

Old 03-06-09, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A tool like this will help you divide the angle accurately and set the miter. The bevel should be the same at 33.9 degrees. Photobucket

Old 03-08-09, 06:49 AM
S
Thanks to all that replied... I thought of the protractor and will buy one today. Now, the angle guage as mentioned threw me a bit. Still feel as if this will be a trial and error cut job.

Thanks again!!

Old 03-08-09, 07:59 PM
J
It doesnt have to be trial and error. Get an angle finder like the one pictured, or a cheaper one (its black plastic and steel) then find the angle on the protractor, then use this chart Cutting Crown Molding with DEWALT Miter Saws, DEWALT.com
to find the bevel and miter you need to cut the crown flat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: