Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Measuring baseboard trim/cutting..

03-16-09, 04:03 PM   #1  
Measuring baseboard trim/cutting..

My carpenter was going to measure/cut my baseboard trim in the basement and was going to have it ready to install once the carpet/tile was installed. Is this ok to do? Should I wait until the carpet and tile is installed before he measures/cuts the baseboard or is it ok to do now?

I wanted everything cut and painted before the carpet and tile was installed so he wouldn't have to keep walking over the new carpet. I figured if everything was cut/painted then all he would have to do is nail/install.

My one buddy mentioned to me that the measurements could be off, especially in the corners because the carpet can 'throw off' the figures a little. Was wondering if that is true or do you think I shouldn't have to worry?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-16-09, 05:04 PM   #2  
There may be better trim carpenters out there than me, but I would install the base prior to the install of the carpet, spacing it 1/2" high off the floor. No way would I install base after the carpet is in. I did it once, and had to go to church afterwards. It was a bear trying to keep it level after the carpet guys were there.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-16-09, 05:14 PM   #3  
I usually paint but rarely install baseboard and it is almost always installed prior to carpet. A good carpet installer doesn't need a lot of paint touch up behind him. 1/2" works well for most carpets. if yours is out of the norm, ask the carpet guy what height it needs to be.

If you stick with your original plan, a little caulk will fix any discrepancies.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-19-09, 12:05 PM   #4  
Posted By: chandler There may be better trim carpenters out there than me, but I would install the base prior to the install of the carpet, spacing it 1/2" high off the floor. No way would I install base after the carpet is in. I did it once, and had to go to church afterwards. It was a bear trying to keep it level after the carpet guys were there.
I talked to another person i know and they mentioned the same thing about installing the baseboard first... Why would the carpenter tell me not to? Easier for them if it is not there? Afraid they would damage it???

So go a half inch? I am getting a pad and berber.. What if there is a gap between the baseboard and the carpet? Would there be? What if the carpet is higher than a half inch, which I doubt.

I can always have my carpenter put up the baseboard and when the carpet installers come I'll just say they did it when I was working and when I came home, it was installed

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-19-09, 02:07 PM   #5  
I've run into a few cases where the carpet was thinner than a 1/2" [and the base was installed at that height] and shoe mould was added to hide the gap.

You want the base just slightly lower than the thickness of the pad and carpet. The carpet installer will then tuck the carpet under the base.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

GA

03-19-09, 03:10 PM   #6  
But I believe with berber you will be ok at 1/2". Sure it is easier for them to install the carpet without the base installed!! They don't have to tuck it under, saving one step. Let them earn their money. Install the base first.

03-19-09, 04:39 PM   #7  
Posted By: chandler But I believe with berber you will be ok at 1/2". Sure it is easier for them to install the carpet without the base installed!! They don't have to tuck it under, saving one step. Let them earn their money. Install the base first.
HAHA, exactly... I'll just tell him my story above .. Lowes has the 139 installation and they still whacked me an extra $400 to the install price because it is a 'new' instal meaning they have to put down tack strips instead of putting the carpet over it and also are charging me to install on the stairs... So let them earn it like you said. Thanks for your help guys...

GA

03-19-09, 05:01 PM   #8  
A good install, even on a remodel will include new tack strips, depending on the age. I'd hate to have my new carpet installed on questionable tack strips. IMO the come-on price of the big box stores for their installations is a little misleading at best. There always seems to be "additional" stuff.

03-19-09, 07:52 PM   #9  
Posted By: chandler A good install, even on a remodel will include new tack strips, depending on the age. I'd hate to have my new carpet installed on questionable tack strips. IMO the come-on price of the big box stores for their installations is a little misleading at best. There always seems to be "additional" stuff.
You are right but I did get them down a few... I was suprised the price was 'negotiable'. I hope I have a decent experience with them. I did meet the installer and he was nice, sounded knowledgable. I got the speil that he was in the flooring business for over 30 years, owned his own carpet business, etc. Now retired, he is a sub contractor for Lowes. My brother in laws brother actually had these installers and he said they did a good job so that is why I requested them. We shall see...

03-24-09, 07:07 PM   #10  
I have primed pine and was wondering do I have to wipe down the baseboard before I paint it?

Group Moderator

NE

03-24-09, 08:25 PM   #11  
Wipe it down? Well you certainly shouldn't paint it if it's dirty or dusty... but generally once trim is primed you lightly sand it (a fine grit such as 180 or 220 grit would suffice) and then dust it off prior to your topcoat.

You'll get the best advice for painting related questions in the painting forum. Sometimes the painters don't read every thread here.

Search this Thread