Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

painting old wood

03-29-09, 11:16 AM   #1  
painting old wood

I have 25 year old pine woodwork throughout the house: window frames, crown molding, wainscotting, kitchen cabinets all in this medium to dark maple stain. This makes the house dark plus the heavy traffic areas (the whole house) are showing abuse. I want to paint it all but realize that once I start, going back is not an easy option. What do I do? Can I just paint certain rooms and leave the others?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-30-09, 02:51 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

You can paint the woodwork either all or in part. My house has painted woodwork in the main living area with stained woodwork in the bedrooms, hallway, bath and laundry rm.

Primer and prep is very important when painting woodwork that has varnish or poly on it. You need to make sure any contamiments like furniture polish is removed. Sand lightly and coat with a solvent based primer. You can then finish with your choice of enamel [latex, oil base or waterborne. 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of finish is the norm. You'll want to caulk the trim and putty any nail holes that were missed originally.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread